cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Re: Farm Debt Increasing

Promising  Something ,  if  it  isn't  TOO  Far   fetched ,  being  one  thing  -  while  we  wait  for  final  results  of  other  actions ,   is  going  to  be  interesting -  -   -

The  merit  of  one's  emotional  speech  delivery's   -  will  trickle  down  to  profit's  of  -  ? 

AS  I  continually  hear  the  chant  of  need  of  more  free  markets  opportunities ,  met  with  the  headwinds  of  more Tariff's  Talk  -  has  a message  of  what - ?   

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

"free markets"..but at what cost?  Some of you happily turn a blind eye to trade deficits and factories having moved overseas and those willing to come in here illegally and work for less than a living wage (taxpayers make up for it, of course if you`re in the 50% that don`t pay taxes, you probably don`t care).  

The problem with our low prices is an unprecedented 3,4,5 yrs of above tend yields.  And the "bam bam bam....bam bam bam" the sound of new finishing buildings going up all over the midwest.   There is a "law of supply & demand" that is still in full effect, farming is fun golldurnit! and the result is a burdensome supply.  Like I`ve said before, we had similar low soybean prices back in 2016 when it was still believed that an establishment candidate was a shoe in and zero chance of a "trade war".

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Smokie and I are not too far apart on this ---I totally agree with his economic view individually.   I agree with his assessment on congresses responsibilities and his notation that they are derelict in those responsibilities of leading our country financially and treaty wise.  Not his words exactly but ....................

But He is missapplying the fax a little....... I see 45 as trying to fix a problem that has been created by congress letting several administrations run with personal agenda's in the area of trade, power grabbing and "personal world vision".... None of which were good for the US.

But we are both in Ks pointing east and stressed over the sheer lack of care for the country and inept qualifications by a big majority of the doo goooders elected to serve either in congress or administratively.

This Chinese agreement (we are wondering if there ever will be a good business deal on paper.....)  Can you imagine a group of 30 new congress persons hammering out that deal...... compared to that thought  ----- 45's attempt to bring us back to some financial position that stops building eternal debt----doesn't bother me much.

It may not be his job to finalize it, but it sure is his job to lead those "soccer moms"  to do something beside passing judgment on each other.

If they decide to oppose the proposed agreement when they get their time to do so, It will be the most they have done on the subject in the last 25 years.....  They haven't questioned the rhetoric of an administration on international agreements for a long time.

To say that one segment of Washington takes the full blame for ineptness is being blindly political......... but it is common to blame the guy who wants things to change.  Especially when the whole country lives on a government handout one way or another.  

Tomorrow I gotta go to the Pharmacy again to pay that extra $60 for meds sold by my neighbor and friend.  Paying that penalty for not using one of the chosen 5 Pharmacutical distributors hand picked by congress to run my neighbor out of business.

Isn't it very easy to see how 45 got elected......... Fix the problems and stop complaining because the driver looks foreign or doesn't look the part.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Well, there were rich & powerful that have taken advantage of the Bretton Woods policy of the United States being the host and the rest of the world being the parasite ....and apparently a few believing they also benefit from Bretton Woods happen to  raise wheat in Kansas and are cattle jockeys in New Mexico Smiley Wink ....I`m not familiar with the area, but always assumed those "sons of the pioneers" were God fearing, conservative, salt of the earth types.  But the politics of a Kansan is similar to a Vanderbilt from New York City  Smiley Happy

For years the elite responded to those of us in the cheap seats "Weeeell ya knoooow trade is a complicate isssue, you just let us handle it for you" then they pat us on the head and threw us a subsidy "bone" and told us to "go be quiet in the corner" .  Then Brexit won, then the US 2016 election happened, people that are more than half awake hollered "We`re mad as hell and ain`t gonna take it anymore!!".   Yes, it`s probably 10 years too late and yes the prescription isn`t pleasant, but this is the fork in the road where we decide if we`re going to continue with the America experiment or slide into Venezuela.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

In  my  opinion  the  45 , being  the  old  vinyl ,  Playing   the  tune  of , Feeding  the World , scratch , Feeding  the World,  scratch  - I'm  going  back  to  the  record  store  for  a  refund - ? 

Seeing  how  those  economic's  have  played  out,  AND  today  a  Hawaii  news  headline  of  empty  shelves  in  grocery  stores ,  might  be  thought  of  in  couple  different  ways  -   -   -

The  above, Food  security,  linked  to  a  shipping  conglomerate ,  and - or  a  wake  up  call  to  THE  daily  trip  to  the  store  for  tonight's  meal,  REPEAT  TOMORROW , scratch -  REPEAT  TOMORROW ,  scratch -  darned  ole  vinyl  anyway  -   -   -

ALSO, Next  harvest  season,  make  sure  all  harvest  monitors  are  accurate,  so  BIG  BrOTHER  knows,  as  we  can't  get  enough  record info  on  display  for  our  OWN  GOOD,  ah'um ,  4 profit  analysis , maybe - ?  OR  would  our  INFO  have  sprung  a   LEAK - maybe ?   

Maybe  those  China  folks  &  others  could  go  long  on  some ,  $7  corn  &  $15  beans,  $9  wheat  real  soon - maybe ?  As  we  are  just  60  days  from Prevent  Planting &  120  days  from  a  drought - Smiley Frustrated            

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Hope your right — the US needs a lot of empty shelves for a serious attitude adjustment. The rich will get their food delivered by drone — that’s all amazon intended to serve anyway once the stock market crop was harvested.
Cheapo may be right. There might be a little panic if a large share of production goes organic health food only. Usda knows how that supply chain will work.
But 289’s right — last springs late cold shoved harvest into winter and we are set up for bigger delays again.

Notice how usda and talkers avoid the subject of unharvested acres. What were the losses. How many acres were shoved from corn to beans in 2018
Field losses were sizable in some locations.
0 Kudos
Advisor

Yes, SW, we are not too far apart.  However, here are a few charts to provide perspective for the facts we disagree with.  With all of these, we must ask ourselves what do we mean when we say we want to make America great again?  Do we go back to the days when horses and wagons and buggies were the mainstays of transportation, when child labor was the norm?  When coal mine explosions were commonplace?  Would you rather communicate by pony express?  I don't know about you, but I cherish my "face time" with grandkids over the internet.  I appreciate using auto-steer while planting corn, beans and wheat.  I like being able to travel by jet to see people and places our ancestors only could dream about.

Let's keep everything within a couple decades perspective.  So, check these out.

IMG_1801.JPG
0 Kudos
Advisor

IMG_1801.JPGMore;  This is what we stand to lose when Mr. Trump cancelled TPP and threatened to cancel NAFTA.  By the way, the USMCA has yet to be ratified.

0 Kudos
Advisor

IMG_1938.JPG

The goal of Mr. Trump was to reduce the trade deficit.  Did you read the latest report?  It's now over $600 Billion.  Correction; it is now over $821 billion.  This chart shows the recent trends.  Up from 2016.  Not down. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

More "Good" or "Bad" news, depending on your perspective: We have had one of the longest, if not the longest, sustained period of economic growth since the recession of 2007-2008.  It began with a D in the White House, and continues with an R in the White House.  No disputing these facts.

IMG_2007 (2).JPG
0 Kudos