cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Re: Farm bill

It is us all..... federal budget is so big that we all do whatever it takes to maximize federal assistance or benefits.

We all work for the government now.  That is what has changed.

Senior Contributor

I feel I have to put my two cents into this conversation on the subject of food stamps. I live in one of the poorest counties in Florida. There are no decent jobs in this area. The poverty level is unreal, however a lot of produce is grown in this area requiring manual labor with the availablility of jobs to survive but not prosper. How many local citizens are working in those produce fields? None! Why because they don't have to. They can sell drugs apply for food stamps and work the system and survive,so why would they. If these same citizens where cut of from gov assistance would they do the job then? No. Why? Because they have the feeling of entitlement that they deserve survival without working for a living,and on top of that they don't know how to work or be productive, this skill has to be taught at a young age. This feeling of entitlement has been taught over multiple generations by subsidies such as these. What would they do? Steal, rape, and pillage! This is happening now! I have to go to court next week as a witness in a theft case. However you also have the other citizens that fit into the class that go to work for less than a living wage! What about them! Do I mind that they get help? Absolutely not! What I do mind is the manner in which they receive it and the amounts they receive. Most of these people have a better grocery budget than me and you paying for it ourselves. But at the end of the day who is really getting subsidized? The citizen or the big processor who buys farm products, or the business that pays poverty wages? 30 years ago someone on food stamps was given government surplus from a government office bought buy the government helping to stabilize commodity prices corporations also paid livable wages. Now they are given a card with money on it and spend it at the grocery store buying the best our tax money can buy of whatever they want. Fact is though if we want to get welfare, we better be ready to build more prisons! Since the sexual revolution and the break up of the traditional family we are now on the third generation of welfare raised. A lot of these people living on the system know nothing else! We have created a situation in this country with welfare that there is no remedy for except government collapse which will eventually happen. And just one class of citizen is not the problem. We all are the problem together from the biggest of corporations to the minimum wage worker! We all put to much emphasis on material gain myself included! We as a nation have forgotten what matters most! Look at the average work schedule of the American worker! 50 years ago most businesses shut down at noon on Saturday and didn't open back up until Monday. Now who can name a merchant business besides chick fillet that closes on Sunday an pays a decent wage for the skill. From my understanding they pay well for the skills required for the job, and it shows when you visit. Think what would happen if everyone refused to work more than five days a week and eight hours a day and if the wife stayed home as she did fifty years ago. More jobs for the husband and more demand for skills (higher wages).We all would produce less but I bet at the end of the day we would put the same in our pockets if not more! We are working twice the amount of time in this nation for The same money we did fifty years ago when you add in inflation. And I garantee less happy! When I was in college economics the professor was going over economic theory conserving the flow of money from corporations to worker and the return back to the corporation in the form of goods and services. I asked the question during this lecture "what happens when all of the money ends up in the hands of the corporations in the end? Another Great Depression? " his answer was " no! That's simple a revolution!" This is happening slowly in every sector during each downturn each time it does, the government hands out just enough to stave off the probability of this. Add in the fact that we have become a nation of entitled citizens, what happens when the time comes that they can't to the extent needed? I hope I don't see those days!
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

As for our politicians, both sides are at fault, Democrat and Republican. None of them are willing to do what is right for fear of losing donors and elections. We have the best politicians money can buy, and both sides hate trump. Why ? Because they can't control him, and he is holding other politicians accountable for their decisions that haven't been in the best interest of the country! He is not in this for a career! He doesn't need wallstreet donations or donations from big companies. This president may faulter from time to time but he is doing the things he is doing is for the right reasons, he believes it is right for the country and has not been paid to by campaign donations ! I haven't seen that in my lifetime, and may not again once he is gone!
Honored Advisor

And now the politics of worker rights is promoting the replacement of workers with technology.

Starting with the postal service and soon to be throughout the economy including truck drivers and tractor drivers.

I listen to the adds of Amazon and the new expansion into delivered foods and wants , and I think full desclosure means a disclaimer that says "only for those who are wealthy".  Never for all.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I agree! When I was growing up I always had a job. I didn't make the best wages but I was twelve and thirteen. I was taught to be productive for the wages I made each week. Now children are taught everyone's a winner even if they are last! There is an old saying employees will do just enough not to get fired and employers will pay just enough to keep employees from quiting. But what happens when employees are no longer needed? They become no longer part of the economy! Look at the auto industry in the last economic downturn. What did they do? They didn't lay off management. Management stayed the same, they shut down factories and laid off workers. Now the same model ford I bought in 2005 for 28,500 brand new will cost you 50,000 or more today do they care that the average American can't afford this? They don't care as long as they make money on the ones they make for the stockholder or actually top management, no dividends are paid to stockholders anymore, profits are paid to upper management in the forms of bonuses. Will new competition come in to complete with ford and chevy in the future? I very seriously doubt it with regulations place on the auto industry by the gov. There is no such thing as job security anymore for anyone at any level who works for someone else, so why have one! I left a job with fldoc two years ago. When I started 14 years before I started with good benefits and decent pay for the area. I could have made more cash in the private sector, compared to a position with the state but at the time I believed the benefits outweighed the cash, eight years ago Rick Scott was elected and started an all out beat down of the average state worker with everything from leave to retirement to medical benefits. At the end I realized I had traded cash and opportunity by giving loyalty (which I no longer have to any business or entity ) to management who didn't give a sh*t. Was management affected by these changes ? Not really the only thing management lost was a little retirement contribution. I worked at a prison. The only personnel cuts I saw was to line positions, the ones that mattered to our safety! As a result we worked more hours for less pay! When I left 14years later I was making 6,000 more a year then when I started with a promotion putting in an extra 4 hrs every two weeks if I was able to go home as scheduled which in the last two years was a fifty fifty chance. Prices of everything in this country has more than doubled in 14 years. Yet everyone's wages and earning have basically stayed the same. And why was this done to state workers in Florida? Because the wealthy was crying about not being able to claim homestead on vacation homes as well as primary residences. But remember I said I live in one of the poorest counties in the state of Florida, the average household income in this area is around 38,000. The average elected official? Well thats a whole different story! The least paid full time elected official I've found was 75,000 salary which was the supervisor of elections and salaries for full time elected officials go up from there, considerably!
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

And as to the politics of workers rights, I believe nothing we do at this point will change the long term direction of our economy and the balance of wealth between corporations and the average American. The corporations lifespan is infinite while the average americans lifespan is 78 years. The middle class pays for everything while big business pays for nothing, and this won't change with the tax code never has and never will. And the more the masses that are made poor by there own actions and the actions of gov policy and corporate greed, the more of the middle class that will fall, until there are only two classes left, wealthy and poor. Then Mexico will be trying to keep us out!
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I doubt Mexico will care..... they were left that way by spain.  The land rich Wealthy and the dirt poor natives... Those in control like it.

Thanks for your "testimony"  Way too many in agriculture believe that politicians care about them.

I hope history challenges what happened in 2008...... Did our leaders save us..... or did they just take the opportunity to rape their victim and dig us a $10 trillion grave.

You are accurate on corporate pay.  But that might pale to the payoff for the political donors the last 10 years.

Thanks for your input.......... 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I totally agree, humans (even if they are dumber than a box of rocks on everything else) have uncanny mathematical abilities when it comes to money and less work in their favor.  Some are so unemployable that if you put them on a forklift, they would destroy more in 5 minutes than what their pay for a entire year would be.

And you have individuals driving up to the community food bank in a newer Toyota, waiting in line for free cheese in a Kendrick Lamar concert shirt, face timing on their $1,000 I-Phone.....(whatever the hell "face timing" is?).  But they "afford" their Kardashian lifestyle partially by getting free food.  So after the first day of those hipsters coming in the food bank is empty the other 6 days of the week, which leads people like me to quit donating, if it goes to supporting some welfare kid`s trust fund lifestyle.  

That is all societal problems...Andy Warhol 15 minutes of fame and the acting out to achieve and live it. 

But you and I and most on here don`t live in the world where we were "below average", answering a ad for a $13/hr job that after 3yrs is a dead end and that in places is the best that`s available.  No benefits, no future.   It wasn`t always this way, someone that wasn`t the sharpest tack could get a job with a future and all they had to do was work hard and they got raises and opportunities to advance.   But now workers seem to be "Kleenex" the boss blows his nose in them and throws them away.

I know the challenges of meeting a weekly payroll and all that good stuff, keeping labor costs down.  But it`s getting really ridiculous they squeal like pigs at the mere mention of "wage inflation".  They don`t like Trump because he upset their applecart  in slowing down their cheap labor supply originating from south of the border.

The thing is they only see today, don`t give 2 dumps about tomorrow.   Like after those cheap Kleenex employees are crippled with arthritis and no good to them, automation has taken over their jobs.  Then I suppose it`s up to the taxpayers to provide the medical care and retirement funding for the Kleenex employees....after all it`s only "right".

But if a job doesn`t have medical and retirement benefits kick in at some point and the employer has come to expect the taxpayers to handle that part of HIS RESPONSIBILTY then he isn`t paying enough.

But if you take advantage of all the welfare out there, you can make $38,000/yr, well Kleenex employees can do that simple math, how many hours do you have to work at $13/hr to make $38,000?

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

BA I'm going to mail your hide to the wall. Nothing
Personal, and you don't deserve all of it.
But what I want to address is what I see of
A hate, and inaccurate facts being used on the
Poor and the needy.
By in large in this area there are those in need.
Due to job situation, tragic life event, illness, some
Due to dope and or alcohol. In most instances
They need the help. I don't see them drive new
Fancy autos, nor fancy phones. Yes we have a few
That milk the system....notice I sad a few, not
Alot.
So rather than repeat what you hear on rush or
Something else, get out in your own community,
And see for yourself....and not get your local
News from Florida.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Elcheapo, I understand job situation, tragic life event, and illness, but I don't understand dope and alcoholism, and refusal to work! Drugs,alcoholism, and refusal to work are problems of choice, not problems beyond ones control. And is it the fault of the children? No but they will do what they are taught to do, and what they see. Wanna be pissed off come down here and have snap benefit recipients come up to you in the grocery store and offer to buy your groceries if you pay them half of the cost in cash. Then you will know how messed up our system really is. This is only what is seen in public occasionally. Want to know more about government and other scams a little more in depth. Go work at a prison!
Ones that know how to work the system can basically live work free the rest of their lives just because they were in prison! And you might as well give it to them to keep them from stealing it!
I had a buddy I worked with around 10 years or so ago who's wife left him, she was a real winner. he got to talking about child support and what she brought into her house as income with gov. Subsidies.
We added it up
Gov mobile phone, snap assistance, rental assistance, electric assistance, earned income and child tax credits, all gov programs, 24 hours a week at a covienence store at 8$ per hour and the child support he was paying. She brought home more than he did working full time! When it was all said and done the average full time worker would have to bring in 60,000 to do better than her, but the average worker making 38,000 wouldn't qualify! So what was her incentive to work full time, or to get a Job that she would no longer need assistance? There was none it was more beneficial to work the system. Can't blame her rational. Work 24 hrs a week bring home the equivalent to a 60,000 a year income or work 40hrs a week for 35,000 and bring home after taxes and expenses of commuting to work 23000 to 25000 of actual cash to live on and have to pay rent out of that? Hmm.
Want to talk about healthcare? We don't have a problem with employers not wanting to provide it. We have a problem of healthcare being rationally priced.
0 Kudos