cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Re: Here`s your Democrat supermajority

As I've said, I'm trying to throw you a bone here with an alternative policy vision that creates a positive future for "agriculture."

As opposed to trying to win the FFA "Stand Up For Corporate Agriculture Speech Award."

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

The alternative would be to throw the farm remnant off the government plantation after multiple generations of government dependency.

Hopefully the 99.7% won't have to go there.

Easy way, hard way. Your choice.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

And you are empowered to give us this choice, HOW??  so out here in 19" annual precip dryland wheat  and milo country, what would I need to do to "earn" that $200/acre??  

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I don't know what best environmental practices would be there.

Probably wouldn't need to be $200/acre there- would be proportional to crop value.

Would probably take more than $200 to capture permanent buffers and refuges in the heart of the corn belt and then figure out what practices would be encouraged on the remaining cropped land and what it costs to incentivize them. Cover crops, residue and compensation for the loss of some inputs like neonic seed treatments and a more robust GMO approval processes which is currently a sham.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

There are farmers out there doing well right now, believe it or not buying +$10,000 land and renting +$300 land...and that had not a damned thing to do with the MFP payment.   They see government programs as "subsidizing their inefficient competitors".   They have gotten to the volume where they buy their inputs wholesale and pretty much sell their grain "retail".  Custom feeding hogs and cattle provide free fertilizer and extra income. 

But those operators aren`t on social media arguing with strangers.    I don`t know if enough government money can be thrown at those of us in the out group to make us competitive.   Perhaps elect Bernie Sanders to take from those that have  Monopoly hotels on Boardwalk & Park Place and give to those of us without even purple properties or a utility or railroad?

0 Kudos
Advisor

BA, I think the monopoly money and subsidized , no limit, crop insurance are a big reason land prices are where they are, and not retreating. I am not looking at any expansion, so I guess it's fine with me, but I feel for the young guy trying to compete against us entrenched landholders.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Hey Red, if I was "the boss" I would have meaningful payment limitations, that were front loaded on that first 100 acres and drop of to nothing on those acres above say 500.   But no one wants government intervention, which ordinarily be fine, the trouble is that now "farming is fun" everyone wants to do it and the bigger the better.   Farming has gotten to where it`s like the cattle barons and oil barons playing poker and no one else can ante up to get a seat at the table.  

A 30,000 acre farmer outbids the local Bigshots 200 miles away and rents land right in their neighborhood....well, that`s capitalism.  It`s getting like only Ford, GM and Chrysler can make cars, someone wanting to become a automobile maker doesn`t have the capital to compete and when one of the big 3 gets in financial trouble they merge with a foreign company. 

As a kid i remember going with Dad to a farmer/seed dealers they would sell DeKalb or Funk G out of their garage or a small shed, maybe 1,000 bags of corn and a few alfalfa bags  and bean seed (most still planted bin run beans) .  But now a good sized farmer will need 4,000 units of seedcorn 10,000 units of bean seed, they can go right to the company and get a much better deal for their own use than any rinky dink seed salesman.  And dittos on chemicals and fertilizer. 

That young guy starting out renting a 80 and farming with a 4020 doesn`t exist anymore.  Hogs aren`t the "mortgage lifers".   Margins are so thin that if they rent a 80 and pencil out a $20/acre profit, they run over a deer antler ruining a  rear tire there goes most of the profit on the 80.  The Bigshot rents it seed is half of what everyone else is paying, ect the 36 row planter and 12 row cornhead is only an extra few hours a year for hiredmen and machinery use.  

The conversation that should`ve taken place a decade ago or longer about preserving the rural communities didn`t happen, we all row our own boats.  But, it seems we`re finding our groove, off farm jobs, niche markets, alternative crops organic, hemp, wineries ect. 

It seems though they weasel around payment limits, when free money is involved the system always gets hacked.  A big thing is one day when it all implodes, don`t bailout the Bigshots like what happened in the 1980`s.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

The Church of the Green = The trojan horse we will ride to power.  ---------  Threaten those followers again and again.... 

Maybe millenials are figuring out the reason they can't afford a house lies in one political party.  Or a tractor, or land to farm, or transportation .......... etc etc etc.

And the answer is "come back to church Green, where we will pay your debts and buy your votes in exchange for your right to own land or a home, and if necessary we will take away your right to vote for your leadership for your own good if you don't vote as we tell you too.

The Political Moffia of the GREEN  ------ This party has no one to blame but themselves.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

There are some farmers buying into the "green movement" to make a buck.."I`m north of highway 18 but give me gov`t money to raise covercrops...even though covercrops are hit and miss this far north  "     If you drag a $20 bill through the coffee shop parking lot, there`ll be a few farmers chasing it.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Interesting BA in that I didn't see your post here, and SW's until I posted about the CSP payments. Nutz never did tell us how much he was getting, did he? Around here, I think most of the larger farmers hire consultants that make sure they limit out on CSP money.

Personally, I would qualify but I don't even apply anymore. I took some and used it to buy some strip till equipment that is sitting in the shed for the last decade unused now. I do the nutrient management  in house, do the high residue farming, terraces, buffers, etc. but I don't feel that should qualify me for extra money.

Give it to Nutz or to one of my neighboring BTO's. I am sure they need it more.

0 Kudos