cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeff_a_Caldwell
Senior Contributor

Farmer going to space?!

Check this out -- though it's likely not to send him or her to space...yet -- SpaceX, one of the companies leading the way toward privatized space travel is hiring a farmer to work at its Texas location. It may have more to do with tax breaks than it does space travel, but hey, it's fun to think about, right? 

So, say the SpaceX folks gave you a call and said they want you to go run their farm and possibly help design systems and lay groundwork for folks to travel in space. Maybe you're desiging farming systems that can work in space, for example. So, would you do it? Fun to think about, anyway!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Re: Farmer going to space?!

Jeff, Jeff, Jeff, just doing a little eye roll here......  Are things a little slow in the office today after the extended holiday weekend?  I mean superhuman bolt ons and now space travel?

How long have you been removed from the farm?  I mean geez, have you seen the cabs of some of this newer equipment?  We're about as close to space travel as one can get.  Look me up when you can drag yourself away from all that hustle and bustle of the busy office life and I'll give you a small tour of what agriculture as become back here in the "Land of the Ah's"....  

Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

PS, If that trip comes with a free hat and matching hoddy I'm in, but only if it is a round trip ticket.  Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
MDFC2012
Friend

3 Things SpaceX will do: they will run a farm to do research to determine what farming process will work best on Mars. Assessing current farming technology, data gathering, choose the best, then try pushing the science ahead....................  Organic farming for the employees and the community. Basically, minimizing their foot print while shooting rocket, structures, employee needs and so forth. ...........  Take advantage of tax incentive.  As a fairly young company SpaceX is minimizing their tax liability and take advantage of the farm tax programs.  All of Mr. Musk companies have strong business mind employees,  that understand their decision ownership, professionalism, goals and ideals........   >>>>Great Move<<<<.....  There is also the money shot Elon orginally want to before starting SpaceX.  Green trees on a Red back ground.  First life on Mars. First life to inhabit Mars.  I like it!!!!

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Believe it or not I had an opportunity to meet and have lunch with a few of the Space X execs and employees a couple months back.  They are a very intelligent and focused group of individuals and they will do unbelievable things in the future and not so distant future.  Maybe I missed my opportunity and didn't even realize it until now.  I had no idea they were looking for farmers.  With my farming background and my industrial background maybe I should give em a call.  Hmmmm

0 Kudos
wcmifarmer
Contributor

All I can say is good luck farming on mars. If it was viable farm ground there would be greenery on the red planet already. And organic...wtf???
0 Kudos
elcheapo
Veteran Advisor

The work for "sustainable " agriculture has
Already been done.
don't ask
0 Kudos