cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JimMeade
Veteran Advisor

Farmers And Opioid Addiction

I am surprised by this story that 75% of farmers are or know someone who has had a problem with opioids.  I don't think I see that, but I'm old and not highly connected to the younger generation.

Do you see any signs of opioid issues where you live?

https://www.agriculture.com/markets/newswire/farmers-harder-hit-by-opioid-crisis-than-rest-of-rural-...

0 Kudos
9 Replies
elcheapo
Veteran Advisor

Re: Farmers And Opioid Addiction

This hurts for me to say this

FAKE NEWS
0 Kudos
JimMeade
Veteran Advisor

OK.  SF posted the "fake news".  How does one judge it is fake news?  Do you have some other references?

0 Kudos
gurly3801539
Advisor

The or some body they know part leaves a lot of wiggle room to write a story.  If I use an opioid and 75 of my 100 friends know it we now have 1% using and 75% knowing.

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

I wonder how the question was asked, some respondents  may lump all drugs as "opioids".  Like marijuana and meth aren`t "opioids".  

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

We may quibble oover our "drug of choice" catagorizations, and the actual numbers of addicts there are. (confessing or not)...but the fact that we are catagorizing our substance problems indicates serious problems in abuse and denial.

It is nice to see an article that tries to address the issue.  We are a society in trouble and at the same time in denial of the issue.  

Opoid problems are addictive to writers now because of the ongoing healthcare debate and their sourcing through the medical community.  

One has to wonder how bad the substance abuse problems among the young and poor have to be before articles come out of serious concern for its effect on rural society..  But then possibly rural society in this modern metroplex society is written off.

13 years ago I was riding through rural indiana with a kansas land owner who was a college science professor.  He was labeling a small community as a "meth" town.   One of those moments that stick in your mind and gut.

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

A guy I graduated with 30 some years ago was dealing and using dope to make money to start farming and he and his wife were murdered by some individuals that haven`t been caught to this day.  Then about 15yrs ago there was meth lab busts 2 miles south of my Mom`s place, 2 miles north of my mom`s place and a 3rd one a couple miles west of Mom`s place.  Those running those poison factories were farm individuals.  A couple of them (hate to fuel the stereo type) but were drug users since they came back to the community from Vietnam in the 70s.  

A few farmers are functioning alcoholics and dabble in dope.  Then you have some that drink a 6 pack every evening.    I don`t get it, I love life as it is to go through it loaded, but I haven`t walked a mile in their shoes either.

You hear of farmers, former athletes and other physical workers have a injury and get hooked on the pain pills and after "doctor shopping" they go to the heroin for pain.  I have sympathy for them, the few times I`ve had unbearable pain, there`s little you wouldn`t do to make it stop. It`s a good thing we`re aware of the problem and treating and educating and getting stricter on prescriptions and "drug seekers".  

0 Kudos
elcheapo
Veteran Advisor

I would agree alcohol is a problem, but I guess you need to define "problem"....is a 6 pack a day a problem, how about a pint of peppermint schnapps a week Durning the winter feeding cattle ?

At a couple of bars, the people complained they
Couldn't taste the alcohol.

As far as people taking pain meds, yes farmers do.
As for being hooked, farmers are human too, but most are by rx
0 Kudos

I completely agree with you. Alcohol destroys many families, careers and takes lives

0 Kudos
lisapullmantws
Visitor

I think the answer to this question is obvious. Of course, it is better to give up alcohol and especially drugs! Although, this is everyone's choice, but once asked, it means that the person doubts. And rightly so! There are many examples when people develop an addiction to both alcohol and drugs. I work for the Abbeycare Group, and I know very well how hard people struggle with such addictions. In addition to the hard work that each employee puts in individually with their client, the willpower of the individual also plays an important role. If he does not understand the consequences of his addiction, the effectiveness of these programs is significantly reduced.

0 Kudos