cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Advisor

Re: Farmers getting along

Jump to solution

I would definitely debate your statement about taste.  We ate a "commodity' beef tenderloin last night at a dinner party.  The cook was my best friend's husband, and he did nothing extraordinary with the meal...it was all simple, but delicious. 

I have never had a better piece of beef in my entire life.  It came out of the local Sam's Club case, which made it affordable for ten, and probably enough leftovers for four or five for dinner tonight. 

My husband made the wines we shared over dinner.  It was wonderful, but he can make a few hundred bottles a year at best.  Not enough to keep even our small social circle fully supplied. 

People can live wihout wine (although it would not be as much fun!) but they cannot pull through without enough protein.  Our favorite chef uses a lot of boutique pork, but even at $45-60 a plate, depending upon the beers served with that evening, there is barely enough of it to provide a 4-ounce serving of protein. 

It's actually more of a garnish most nights.  Not enough to make much money for the niche producer that way, either, unless you are the Bacon Bits Baron. 

0 Kudos
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Re: The other white meat campaign

Jump to solution

Has ruined the flavor of pork. AS a former pork produce and pork consumer, I think I know what I'm talking about. The effort to breed and produce lean pork has produced a lean flavorless product that is not worth bring home.

I'm one of those fellow that loved a big thick IOwa chop with a rind of fat we hd to cut off and throw away. In fact I would like to try one agin if it was available. Until then I will reject those dry tasteless products in the meat counter.

Make it beef or chicken and I will eat it but the pork chop or pork roast are awful. Not even enough fat to produce a good yummy gravy.

Sure you might sell more lean meat to the housewife but she is buying it beecause it is cheaper than beef. Not because it is better.

THanks for listening to my rant guys.

0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Veteran Advisor

Jump to solution

jec I agree with you, Im a young farmer so I see things different than maybe some of the other guys on here. In my neck of the woods competition for land is fearce and unbalanced. We have seed corn growers, tomato and potato growers mixed in with regular corn and soybean guys. Also when you are the young guy looking to expand its hard with a BTO near you that never sees the inside of one of his new green combines because he needs to make sure all of his hired men are in the right field and in the right county for that matter. I have nothing against somebodies pursut of happiness but we all know you dont need 15,000 acres to make a living. I think it a prestige thing after a while for BTO's, they may not make a dime on a piece of land for years but they will pay anything to get it, and when they dont make any more land these days people tend to fight over even scraps. I can say I get along with most of my nieghbors, most are farmers and most are in the 500 to 1,500 acre range.

0 Kudos
wt510151
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

The fact is we don't. No amount of food gets to starving children or their mothers unless their governments or armies allows it to get there. Food assistance is in the form of credits or money, not actual food. They can use those credits any way they choose, just like the food stamp program here. Some of the food may be purchased here, but transportation and contractor prices may mean that it is not. We are borrowing from China to give developing countries food assistance because it is cheaper for them to import it than to produce it themselves. What is wrong with this picture?

We will lose food security when there aren't enough laborers to produce it or armies to protect it. We're already importing farm labor with the idea that no one will work due to welfare. Now two thirds of the service members come from rural areas. Obesity is also preventing many young people from enlisting. That means we will have a smalller force to protect our freedoms. Which is worse, a mother watching her babies starve or her child becoming obese and dying before you retire?

0 Kudos
wt510151
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

It would be so much more mature to agree to disagree than what we've been seeing here and elsewhere. Competition can bring out the worst in people.

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

Jump to solution

Well said wt.---the food supply causing type two diabetes at an alarming rate should tell us something about our "cheap" food policy???

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Advisor

Jump to solution

I disagree that our food supply "causes" type II diabetes..it is the choices we as individuals make from all of what's available, coupled with factors like our genetics and exercise patterns, that lend more potential for development of this metabolic disorder.  A lot of things have to coincide to casue such a problem. 

Stress and the complex action of hormones like cortisol may also come into play.  In short, if you took a typical person from fifty years ago, and a typical person from today, many variables other than diet that could affect metabolism come into play. Saying that any single one is a "cuase" is simply false logic.  Most things are just not that simple. 

There are also some interesting new links that point to some pathogenic correlations with childhood obsesity...that is, some bugs that go along with being an overweight kid.  Wouldn't it be hell on some folks - especially the diet industry - if they finally figured out obesity is part of an infectious process?  It happened with stomach ulcers. 

0 Kudos
belarus
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

We have had a policy in this country for too long to promote hydrogenated oils and refined carbohydrates over fresh fruits, vegetables, and real food.  That is kind of hard to argue.  I could feed my sows 16 pounds of corn each day,  add 4 pounds of bean meal, top it with soybean oil, and not put any vitamins or minerals with it.  I could say I'm providing them with plenty.  I could call it the western civilization diet.  I think I'm smart enough to realise it wouldn't work for my pigs.  I wonder where society went wrong when they didn't figure it out?

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

Jump to solution

I would hope that one would recognize the appearance of our populace when walking through any public place would not mistake the road well traveled----eat it--drink it--inhale it or what ever---if overdone it causes problems of epic proportions in this country's health care costs. I see very few involved in the fast food industry that are addressing this issue in relation to this time and place---bottom line is the bottom line-----ever see a fitness center at Mc-Ds?? Why did they fight the labeling issue tooth and nail??  As far as false logic---a few years back I was told the N fertilizer we use would never be an issue---now my reverse osmosis works overtime to extract it from 40ppm !!

0 Kudos
belarus
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

We have no less of a Jungle today than over a hundred years ago when the book was originally wrote.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos