cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Re: Farmers have too much money

Well, if they ain't got nothing to complain about, then why do those who complain about them continue to complain?  It's in their blood.....

Smiley Surprised

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: Farmers have too much money Shaggy

God do I hope you are right. The one contradiction to your argument is the fact you said the bto's are buying the land. So the land is going more and more to them. But I do hope you are right and wish you success.

0 Kudos

Yes, there is a problem when government interventions to enrich farmers no longer trickle down to the community.

I guess everybody will deal with that in their own way.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Nox is this friend hoping for a Presidential appointment as secretary of Agriculture?   Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I see that too, Shaggy.  While the BTOs are getting bigger, it seems the majority of them don't have anyone who really wants to take over for them.  I can think of 5 large operations nearby, of which, only 2 have any heris with an interest to continue the farm, with a slim chance for a 3rd.  The 2 definately not continuing the farm have patriarches in their 70s.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

THe problem would be solved if they started milking cows! LOL

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I would agree with "there are worse things than paying income taxes". My accountant reminds me of that every December. It doesn't mean we like sending in the checks though. I think some of the new equipment buying will slow as the section 179 deduction scales back starting this year. I know several smaller acreage guys who are early 60's who are buying brand new equipment so it will last them the rest of their time they are farming. I've seen other neighbors including ourselves either buy or upgrade sprayers, planters, and combines. (the pieces that make $, not take $!) as a wise place to park sone income. After the past several years boom, none of us should be pulling a junky planter anymore.
0 Kudos

In our conversation I said that it looked to melike we could run the equipment factores for a couple months to stock up spare parts and then close them for 5 years and nobody would miss a beat.

He chuckled but didn't argue with me.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

It doesn't so much surprise me that what you guys characterize as a BTO would have no room for an heir to want to enter the operation.  If selfishness is a tendency, it troubles you at home, as well as away from there. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Got ;that right JR

0 Kudos