cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Farmfest

It was a different deal this year.  Showing up at noon, you could park in the front 2 rows, not easy to find a spot but findable, I`ve never done that before many times having to park almost to the fork in the roads.  It was 90º and i`m sure many toured the show in the morning and left at noon, but it`s been 90 there before.

The exhibitors seemed to know not to bug anyone, "$3 corn" was something overheard being said to many exhiibtors, just my gut says, these prices are starting to wear.

But I had fun, I always have it`s a great show and we`re all going through a rough patch here that won`t last forever.   The crops in the area were challenged this year more that I`ve seen in the past, it looks like the crops had wind, hail, too much rain...everything but locusts.  The Morgan area isn`t the usual garden spot this year, not at all the farmer`s fault, they did very well having been dealt a poor weather hand.

I remember Farmfest pasts, there would be alot of livestock equpiment and boars and gilts under a fan by seedstock suppliers...none of that anymore.  The big equpiment companies must fore gothese shows and leave it up to a local dealer to bring in their inventory, Kibble was there for John Deere and I believe it was Arnolds for Case IH.  Didn`t see anyone walking with a yardstick....advertising budgets must be tight   Smiley Happy

But I always enjoy these shows and look forward to the Farm Progress Show.

2 Replies
k-289
Senior Advisor

Re: Farmfest

BA   -  See any Monark Butterfly  - or  milkweed exhibits from University of Iowa from their promo ?  

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Farmfest

I didn`t see their display but University of Minnesota was there.  But this Milkweed deal, there`s alot of it on the CRP and roadside ground and it`s hard to have the bennefical Milkweed while controlling Thistles at the same time.   Thistles are really bad this year, the roadside spraying didn`t control them.  The CRP they don`t want you mowing until after August, well they`ve went to seed by then and it seems like you mow them too early and they come right back to seed.

But last year, I never saw so many Monarch Butterflies, I think they migrate and perhaps they`ve just went to different areas and now maybe come back. 

0 Kudos