cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rswfarms
Senior Contributor

Re: Farmland Ceiling Raised…Again/Faust

Good post Faust, thanks for standing up for me. I appreciate it alot.

0 Kudos
huskerfool
Contributor

lmao, good rant faust, nice to see your alive and kicking since the migration brought me here, lmao

0 Kudos
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

My my my! How things can change! lol

0 Kudos
old man
Senior Contributor

This is caused by a fear of inflation. I want to tell a true story. Many years ago, we were sitting at our neighbors one nice summer evening eating watermellon. This neighbor parents had emigrated to the US from Germany after WW1. Her older sister, who was a teenager when they emigrated told about her parents in the old country.

Their father had worked in a factory. Her mother would meet hin at the factory gate every payday and they would go and purchase whatever the paycheck would buy as the next week, with the inflation in Germany at that time, that money would not buy as much.

Then she told  , every village would have a hometown brewery, that the family that owned the brewery sold the brewery for an enormous price.

Before the inflation was over, the enormous amount of money would not even buy a loaf of bread.

The only people who came out with anything were those who owned assets like land and had a good title to those assets It went down , but recovered and their value.

Inflation like this was a contributing to the rise of a despot like Hitler.

That is one reason that many people want to buy land. Also, where can they invest their money any better than their job

0 Kudos
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

My wifes uncle was a WW II veteran serving in france and germany. Back in the late 60's or early 70's he declared that inflation would take hold in america just like it did in Germany. He bought 3 half sections in one year when land was around $700 per acre. Of course he has since passed on but  his children are farming the land today. $9K or $10K land today.

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Might still be the thoughts of a few that are paying "too much" now.

With the no way out but full steam ahead for the FED, today's prices might not look quite so bad in another couple of years of dollar dilution.

I took top bid on one Monday.

Made my other ones look "cheap".

They were "too high" when I bought them.

One or two more and I might need to trade in my "Hobbyfarmer" handle?

0 Kudos
old man
Senior Contributor

I would like to add "There is no nation, culture, or civilization in all the recorded history of the earth that has survived if it did not take care of it's soils and the ability to feed it's people"

A starving person will follow almost any despot for a crust of bread just to feed their family.

0 Kudos
old man
Senior Contributor

That is why land is so important, and good quality even more so.

0 Kudos
Mike NCIA
Veteran Contributor

Faust--Been on here since 1996, so on this site I would be considered a Faust.  I spend more time on another site that took over the format that was originally here.  Bought first farm back in 1994 when I had saved enough for a downstroke, as I didn't marry anyone for land.  As of today we own 500 acres with last mortgage payment next year.  Rent the 1000 acres of family land also.  Put a sealed bid of $9000 on an auction  this fall but did not want to bid a neighbor up so let it go

0 Kudos
idalivered
Advisor

don, buying 3 half section of good iowa land (in one year) is no small feat in any price range. Timing can really help.

0 Kudos