cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Fertilizer Up

I went to the elevator yesterday to check on fertilizer prices as I just picked up a 40 that I plan on putting beans in.  I thought I'd dump a little potash on it to be sure as I don't know the history of this farm.  What a surprise, $630 a ton compared to about $500 last fall.  That's scary as I saw where 1 ag economist on here somewhere suggested putting on extra this spring as he expects even higher fertilizer costs this coming fall.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Advisor

Re: Fertilizer Up

Sounds like a good time to do some more comprehensive soil testing....

0 Kudos
rfmgis
Reader

As a CCA I would recommend that anyone in your position that you soil test before spending any money on fertilizer.

The limiting factor is the ph level.   It needs to be 6.3 ph for beans, 6.0 ph for corn and alfalfa 6.8 ph.

0 Kudos
Advisor

We rarely have to lime around here.  The bedrock is limestone.  2 miles south of me  the rock is on the surface.  1  mile further is a vast stone quarry.  I had extensive soil tests on my other ground done in 09 and all was OK.  We did have to lime once in a while when veggies were grown here but that years ago.  Thx for the reply.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Yes, fertilizer is up.  Hard to know for sure what to do.  I think in your case, I'd be inclinded to skip the fertilzier now and do a decent job of soil sampling in the fall, then decide for the fall/spring what you want to do.

0 Kudos
Advisor

That's what I was thinking.  After all these years am still not entirely convinced on fertilizing beans.  Even beans after beans.

0 Kudos