cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Fill in the blank: Early spring & a normal crop year

If we don't get a late frost/freeze, this year's early start to spring will make my crop _________________.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Fill in the blank: Early spring & a normal crop year

...need a lot of water.

This warm weather early, is coming with more than normal wind, and less than normal moisture.  I would estimate that we are ending March, with as little submoisture as I can remember (but remember, I'm not that old).

0 Kudos
Advisor

suseptable to an April-May freeze

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Neb You hit it on the head! We are trying to conduct our Prescibed fire operations before we get into the fields planting and the winds are just non-stop in NC Iowa. Two years in a row  of horrible spring winds. plus we are still short moisture that is making lighting these fires a little tricky. I would expect around here everyone will have the planters parked on the head lands on April 10th loaded for the 11th. I would have never guessed that march 9th we would of had 75 degree temps. Planting this early just doesn't feel right and a chance of a killing frost is still real possible. I'd rather have my $300 corn in the bag till it's a for sure before sticking it in the ground.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

great for weed control and not giving us normal spring moisture.

0 Kudos