cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Food Stamps and the Farm Bill- a question

Say, as you know the Food Stamp Program falls in with the farm bill. I wish food stamps was in it's own program and not in the Farm Bill, but that's a whole other issue. Anyway, for my knowledge, does anyone know how much per month a family of 5 would recieve in Food Stamps? My wife told me how much she spends for food for my family per month, and I would like to compare it to what my wife spends per month. If they get more money than the total money my wife spends on food for our family, then I have a problem with that. I am just curious what our goverment gives a family of 5 per month to buy food. Thanks for any information on this issue.

0 Kudos
26 Replies

Re: Food Stamps and the Farm Bill- a question

It is a sliding scale depending on income and family size, other expenses.  You can play around with this calculator a bit if you'd like.

http://www.ndhealth.gov/dhs/foodstampcalc.asp

For a family of five with two adults working 40 hrs per week at WalMart at $8.80/hr and using some assumptions about rent, dependent care etc. I come up with $397/month.

I have some problems with the SNAP program but they are primarily about the types of food that are eligible. Don't have a problem if people are buying basic non-name brand, somewhat nutritious food, I do have a problem with subsidizing Coke, Pepsi, Conagra, et al.  

Who, BTW, are the heavyweights who will actually block any real attempt at reform- plus WalMart which actually manged to get two mentions in here.

I'm a good shopper and a good cook- I can feed a family of five a decent diet on that but it isn't going to be fancy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Also have a lesser problem with making farmers markets and such eligible for SNAP purchases.

It may be a good thing to aid the working poor with better nutrition and it may also be a good thing to encourage small and local agriculture.

Not sure it makes sense to try to shoehorn the two together.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

And, BTW, despite what the boyz down at the coffee shop are fer sure certain of- that the crux of all our problems is those lazy shiftless poor folks-  we are effectively subsidizing the low wage corporate model via SNAP, Medicaid and the like (that family would also come close to being eligible for Medicaid and will be eligible for a sizable health premium subsidy under Obamacare).

Comes close to being true for the "modern" integrated pork and poultry industries as well- both in processing and some farm work.  The good news I guess, is that the immigrant populations that are heavily utilized in those "industries" make less use of the programs than do native born whites and blacks.

And, most importantly, the vision of a lowest cost, value added, export driven agriculture that was spelled out by USDA in 1995 has raised the income of landowners.

Who are now POed about paying taxes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Food Stamps are tied into the farm program for one reason...that being to get enough Congressional votes to pass any kind of program for the actual farmer. Having food programs in the bill almost forces city congressmen/women to vote for thebill which , of course also contains farm programs [ crop insurance , conservation programs and others] for actual farmers. There would never pass as strictly a farm bill....farmers being such a small percent of the population...not represented by enough congress critters to pas any stand alone program.   John

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Great strength comes from small numbers.  Let every farmer reduce acres by 10% and lets see what the city folk will say then!  When they are charged $10 for a box of corn flakes and a McDonald's Happy Meal sets them back $15 they will realize the minority should not be forgotten.

It should be a disgrace to politics to say the quickest way to a congressional vote is through they're own personal checkbooks, but it has just become the norm and is accepted.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

You're right Shaggy...todays Congress = You vote for my freebe....and I'll vote for yours !!!  No bill ever stands on its own merits.  John

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

The voluntary acreage reduction fantasy is all fiction.  NFO tried it and failed.  It will never work.  As prices get higher, I'll plant more, not less.

There is no doubt that without the urban poor the farmers would get no farm bill.  Is that so bad?  Maybe not.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Seeems very interesting about the rant from some about  SNAP while on another post snorting about getting " 525 " from  "taxpayer susidized '' PP  $$$   ---  careful what you wish for --- 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Shaggy..just a point about your first item...farmers working together to cut production.  NEVER  EVER GONNA HAPPEN...if one or two cut back , three or four will add!!! Farmers tend too look out for their own interests and too hell with every one else !! Just the way I see It !!  John

0 Kudos