cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Food Stamps and the Farm Bill- a question

Point well taken JCCWIS & Jim.  It was only a fictional post.  We all know no one is going to cut acres just to prove a point, but just think what if...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Someone else may have already answered your question, but here is the best link I can offer you: http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=1269

The eligibility and benefit information there should satisfy your need to know.

As for " having a problem" with someone earning that little, compared to whatbyou say you earn, I have on,y one thing to say: Get over it. You need something else to occupy your time and your mind.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Amen to that Kay.

If the food stamp helps as many kids get a meal as I think.

I don't care how many free loaders there are.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I agree with the kids meals 100%. It's the worthless parents that buy groceries (some very questionable) with food stamps and proceed to leave the grocery store and head straight for the tattoo parlor and/or the smoke shop and pay with cash. Ya, I can see where only the farmers are misusing candy money!!!
0 Kudos
Highlighted

BTW, when I can I do most of our grocery shopping and I pay a lot of attention to prices.

I will submit that, no matter what the CPI says about food costs, the cost of the sort of things that a low income family could use to provide low cost nutrition has gone up in price a lot more than the average would indicate.

That includes peanut butter, dry beans, generic cereals, canned vegetables.  Low end meat products like burger, middle cuts have gone up more than higher end cuts, proportionally.

The days of $1.29/gal milk specials are over but milk and basic cheese are still a good buy given the nutritional value, as are eggs, even if they've near tripled in price.

I also shop intermittently at a discount grocery and am pretty nosy. With the bridge card it's harder to know who is using SNAP but you still can tell most of the time. It is true that a fair amount of the dollars spent aren't necessarily wisely allocated but at least its a discount store.

Every once in a while you'll see people unload a couple of carts of good, smart food and use the bridge card. You never know but sometimes I wonder if they aren't foster parents (who can often qualify, and I have a hard time complaining on that one). 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Food Stamps and the Farm Bill- THANKS FOR THE POSTS

Boy, alot of posts, thanks!!!!! I have nothing against food stamps, but living in a Big City I see many people use them at the grocery store and they buy some pretty expensive food with them that I think is a waste of money. Children should not go to bed on a empty stomach, but it is the parents that use the food stamps, not the kids. But as with all goverment programs there is probably some money being wasted, but that is life.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Not directed to you specifically, but farmers as a rule have too **bleep** much time to waste if they are watching food stamp recipients buying groceries. I get the notion that the haves think the have not should do with less. In other words is they splurge their money on dog food for the kids they better feed them nothing but oatmeal until they reach adulthood.

Hundreds of thousands pouring into farmers bank accounts from the USDA and then we batch because some white trash mama buys a ribeye for her family. How in the world did we ever gets so judgemental? If a farmer buys pet food with his farm subsidy or a twelve pack of bud lite, does that mean he is a low life slug? The only difference between us and the welfare mom is that life dealt us a better hand. WE all possess the instances of poor judgement except we don't have two million soddies looking over their shoulders at us.

I have never pay any attention to what other people put in their grocery carts whether with cash credit or food stamps. People deserve some degree of privacy and I don't really care what is their station in life.. I hope for the life of me that some poor wretch can find enough sheckles to spring for a prime rib dinner to brighten his miserable existance. In fact I hope Obama is using my tax dollars to do it.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I just happened to be in a high-end grocery store pickimg up some milk, bread, and a bag of apples for my wife. The person in front of me had 6 Prime-graded aged New York strip steaks that she was using Food Stamps/Card to buy them. This grocery store sells Prime graded aged beef, besides choice graded beef. In fact, there Prime graded steaks are the best ever, alot of marbling in the meat and really tender. The cost of these Prime-graded aged steaks was $21.99 per pound and she had around 5 pounds for over $100 total bill just in the steaks. Yes, I too have bought these steaks to grill at home and as mentioned, they are just great tasting. But at a $100 a pop, we don't buy them more than once per month. I am not going to judge this young lady using food stamps buying these NY Steaks, but our family only buys them for special days, like a family members birthday. And I guess your right, us farmers are really no different getting a $80,000/year Crop Insurance subsidy to help pay for our inputs to grow corn. However, us farmers didn't make the Farm Program rules, we just follow them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Food Stamps and the Farm Bill- THANKS FOR THE POSTS

In general, the philosophy that seems to prevail in most social programming is that it is better to let some abusers creep in , than to let helpless people suffer hunger or other maladies. 

The other matter is the cost of policing that abuse.  I have extended family members that have heavy credentials in doing training for eligibility, and other friends that work in social services in eligibility determination.  The take their work very seriously, and do the very best they can, do assure that benefits are deserved. 

I have always said that no one should have to go to bed hungry in this, the grestest nation ever known on Earth.  Even knowing that some people take advantage of tha tmindset, I don't know how we change the system to do any better than it already does. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Not sure what Bible passage it is, but I believe it tells a message such as this "Help no one that refuses to help themselves". Not everyone on food stamps abuses the system, just as not all farmers milk the USDA. But it's the WORTHLESS #%+<>€£¥ soles that buy food for their family using food stamps and waste their welfare cash on booze, tobacco and tattoos. I mean they don't waste time looking for a job to better themselves so why not have a cold beer and a couple smokes while your getting another tattoo.

I work an average of over 50 hours a week off the farm on top of running a farm that is just under 1000 acres. Yes I get subsidies from the Gov., so if this makes me a milkman, than that's what I am.

FWIW, you can thank all those worthless soles for making your routine dentist or Dr. Office visit cost well over $100 as well, I'm sure their visits go unpaid or they flash the Medicaid card.
0 Kudos