cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Food Stamps and the Farm Bill- a question

As she is too. That's the system and our system promotes to get the most out of everything. That might be labor, capital, investments, or even government programs of EVERY type. If you're crying foul, just remember what would you do if you had a handout that you could use or lose.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

WT, my hand is not out. I've got the equivalent to 2 full time jobs. Most welfare feeders (not all but most) don't try to better themselves, therefore they stand with puppy dog eyes and both hands out.

It would make it harder for me without subsidies, but I would survive. How would welfare feeders survive if their handouts would go away? Probably play the wildcard, disability. I'm willing to vote for it, are you?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

And another thing WT, I've got all kinds of things that if I don't use I'll lose. I use my mind (however some would argue I've lost it). If I don't use my agriculture talents and skills I bet I would loose what little rented ground I've got. If I don't use my skills at my off the farm job, I bet I would get fired. Of crap I forgot, those involve labor also known as work or sweat equitity. Something welfare feeders haven't a clue.
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Re: Food Stamps and the Farm Bill- THANKS FOR THE POSTS

The lack of discussion on "  FOOD  INFLATION "  from the  " EXPERTS " seems to be a no touch political hot potato as we hear month after month the repetitive chatter of  "no inflation " --- dear wife used pork sausage up until about 2 months ago to stretch hamburger recipes - at  $2.50 plus the brakes came on ---      

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Just wondering where you view this. Were the steaks wrapped in clear paper at the meat counter or were they wrapped in opaque paper. Generally our steaks are wrapped in white paper at the meat counter and when we pay at the checkout that is when we use our food stamps. Rarely does anyone see the meat product i buy and watch me check out as well.

I'm highly suspicious of folks that KNOW so **bleep** much about what other people do. Is that a hobby spying on what the low life are doing? Would you ratyher study the periodicals to see which movie star wife is bleeping another ones husband.

I have no interest in what the ptron ahead of my buys. Do you stand by the checkout and watch everyones habits or just the low lifes without a fat check book. The only attention i pay is if they have 200 items and it's gonna take a while to get checked out. In fact how do you distinguish who are using food stamp or coupons? You must have your nose buried in their business.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

As a woman I think I can answer some of your question.  If they have the belt loaded and it is divided into Basic foods and then  obvious nonelgible foods that they pay cash for they are on SNAP.    If you are in Walmart on the day/night that their SNAP cards are "loaded"  you'll get a real education.  Some sit in their cars waiting to see that their cards have been loaded since there is no food in the house.   Avoid the grocery store at all costs on the 14/15th of the month.    Spend enough time in a grocery store and you learn to observe.  And remember women are pretty good at multitasking. 

I once observed a father?  loading the belt with fruit juice packs,  and other gallon juice jugs,  along with a gallon of milk. at the expensive grocery store in town.   If your are just buying juice  go to the discount stores  and your money goes farther.  I buy most of my  juice at Dollar General.   Unless, you are using the  "butcher shop"  at the high end grocery store.. all meat is in clear wrapped pkgs.  

SNAP  cards are suppose to prevent  fraud.   But,  as we know if there is a will there is a way.   I worry about local children who had free lunches during the schoo year and even got a backpack of food on the weekends.    Are these parents suddenly going to figure out how to feed their children for 3 months?   Some larger towns are providing free lunches for these children.   Our small towns have no such program. 

We can not let children go hungry,  just because of their parents' instability, maturity, mental status or intelligence.   Wish there was a good answer. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Jim, I have said this before, and it feels tight to say it again here: There are politically correct poster children used to justify all farm program spending.

Indigent citizens with hungry children are only one of them Farmers themselves stood in the role, after the " blood on the scarecrow" years...those in the Great Depression, which bred the ASCS itself, and the ones still fresh in our memories of the eighties.

Americans root for the underdog. We help the people we perceive as worse off than ourselves, at leadt if there is some element of helplessness in the equation.

Farmers cannot in general lay claim to much in the way of need for support anymore, except in the case of drought/flood/hail or other natural disaster. We used to count on DP and CCP paying off the tab for local taxes to meet unfunded federal mandates. I thought that was fair. Now, the payments fall far short of carrying off that freight.

The Farm Bill ought to more rightly be called the Food Security Bill. That is more truly its real function. Farms are only supported to the degree that keeps enough of them in business, to provide the raw materials for the food industry.

We farmers and the poor are just means to that end...if you look at it from the perspective above. Money paid to us,or loaded on EBT cards every month, pretty much passes through to one global giant corporation or another. Follow the money..
0 Kudos