cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

For those with a minor Internet addiction....

...and not way to connect to less-expensive DSL, you may wish to look into using your cell phone as a wireless hotpsot.  My VERY costly hughesnet is down for a while ..found it with not enough lights on the modem Wednesday evening when I got home, and finally had time to troublehsoot it Friday. 

After they ran throught re-registration of the modem after several reboots and such, I had to engage the process to bring in a service tech, which looks like I will be down at least a week to ten days, right at tax season, when I needed to download forms and some figures most.  I woudl be melting down, but when I changed my phone a few eeks ago, I added a $10 a month wireless 3G hotspot to my plan. 

All I have to do is tap the touchscreen a few times.   I have a great signal and can do anything I want to do, once I've given the security code to the device once through a given device.  In fact, my Kindle could not access my WiFI router, since it is an N one, an Kindle only gees with B and G.  I only have 2G for that price, but I am sure could up the capacity for a few doillars more.  This was $50 a month cheaper than my former MiFi card. 

Just thought I'd share this option idea with you guys.  It is saving my butt in getting my online banking and tax info collecting doen this weekend, and is reasonably fast and is so far very reliable. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: For those with a minor Internet addiction....

Kay I had hughesnet for a while and it was total crap. I talked to some neighbors and they had broadband for cheaper than I was paying Hughes. The high speed internet we get in this area comes from local farmers grain legs. Somebody thought of this idea and they are making good money on it now. Hughesnet will probably be out of business in a few years. Good to see your getting away from that communist Hughesnet with your cell phone.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Unfortunately, I am not yet free of hughesnet's grip...have to have this system for now, until the DSL infrastructure promised by $150 million in rural trunk lines materializes in rural NC.  That may take up to seven years, from what I have read and heard, but at least it is coming, "someday." 

For now, I will stick with the tehnician repairing/replacing my modem this coming week, assuming I can ever reach him.. Rigth now, he's got a fried phone system with nowhere to leave a message on it.  My exposure seems to be $125 for labor. 

I think I will eventually be checking into my cell carrier, to see how much it will cost to increase my data package to supplant Hughes entirely.  Right now, I at least have this smaller data plan to cover emergencies.  I just authorized the office computer to connect to the DROID, and it was troublefree. 

Good for private enterprise solving this problem for you guys.  Wish we had someone that smart around here.  My one technological goal for this decade, thus far at lesat,  is to get connected to DSL.  That may solve our satellite TV pricing problem here, too.  Time will tell. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

Anyone out there have Wild Blue, and what is your experiance with it?

0 Kudos