cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Foreign ownership of US farmland

Seems Ohio and Texas doesn`t have much restriction on foreigners buying property.   Iowa is very restrictive.  On the one hand, if I was a foreigner, I don`t know if I`d be too wild buying US property, because with the crazy government spending and the popularity of "cutting income taxes" much of the funding of governmental spending is or soon will be pushed onto the county level property taxes.

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/27/723501793/american-soil-is-increasingly-foreign-owned   

When the stock market tanked during the last recession, foreign investors began buying up big swaths of U.S. farmland. And because there are no federal restrictions on the amount of land that can be foreign-owned, it's been left up to individual states to decide on any limitations.

It's likely that even more American land will end up in foreign hands, especially in states with no restrictions on ownership. With the median age of U.S. farmers at 55, many face retirement with no prospect of family members willing to take over. The National Young Farmers Coalition anticipates that two-thirds of the nation's farmland will change hands in the next few decades.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Foreign ownership of US farmland

Report  saying  China  owns  146,000  U S  farmland  acres  -  M  F  P  $$$$  amount  ? 

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Re: Foreign ownership of US farmland

Just curious - is that actual crop land they own or is it the land under buildings they own?

Smithfield, Syngenta, etc.?

0 Kudos