cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Fsa newsletter

I received an Fsa newsletter today stating both counties I farm in were declared disaster counties for 2010.  Hard to believe since last year was my best year ever in 32 years.  Now about this year.  I cut beans 6 hours Monday and 4 hours Tuesday. That's it for the year so far.  Probably half the farmers here haven't turned a lick yet.  Started raining at 4PM Tuesday and hasn't stopped.  I wonder if there will be any disaster assistance for this mess we're in here now.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Advisor

Re: Fsa newsletter

sorrry to hear about the bad weather. I watch the weather systems that bring continual rain to the eastern cornbelt. We had that in '09. finished beans nov. 6 and had 2 good weeks after. that year the sou processors were really scrambling to find beans to keep grinding and the feed mills were offering premiums to get wet corn dried and to their door. as to the fsa... i've always said that my farm is a disaster. the fsa just makes it official. Good luck.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I hope things dry up for you.  Out here, we had to buy our rain, and apply it with a center pivot all summer, and now that harvest is underway, we've spent more time waiting for it to dry out so we don't get the combine stuck, than we have been able to harvest.

If all else fails, I hope you have your crop insured.

0 Kudos
Advisor

The rain gauge reads 3.9".  Water everywhere.  Wife and I agreed it's the worst since we moved in the "new" house in 1984.  Yes, I'm insured.  Wouldn't leave home w/o it.  Although I have thought sometimes of cancelling it.  Spent an hour on the phone with crop ins. and gran buyer at the elevator.  I decided to sell my remaining fall and January contracts so 'm flying naked if we do get to do any harvesting.   I debated on doing it but I made a small profit, enough to pay rent on a 40 and I like sleeping well at night.  Thanks for your concern.

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

I don't know for sure what county you are in but I bet it is already declared a disaster for 2011. Something like 66 out of Ohio's 88 counties were declared earlier this summer.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Were we declared disasters because of drought?   Rains started here July 18 and haven't quit.  Beans recovered nicely, corn not so much.

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Based on the extremely wet planting conditions. Then drought. Then extremely wet harvest conditions. What else do we need?

0 Kudos
Advisor

OK That's it in a nutshell.  BTW  it rained for 2 more hours this morning.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I say this tongue in cheek, but there is a lot of truth to it:
Ohio, Illinois, and Indiana are considered a 'disaster' when thier dryland corn yields less than double what mine does for that year.

MY dryland corn is a disaster, when it yields less than 20% of what it normally does in one of those states.

0 Kudos