cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
highyields
Senior Contributor

Glyphosate and Pheasants

I think its the increase in glyphosate use that is hurting the pheasant population.  Course I don't have any proof of that.  But when no-till and glyphosate came into the picture I could notice the lack of pheasants.  Even when we leave grass in the water ways stand we still don't have pheasants.   Its something besides habitat thats affecting the pheasant population.  

0 Kudos
4 Replies
nwobcw
Advisor

Re: Glyphosate and Pheasants

We lost pheasants 30 years before gly. was even around.  They went away when animal ag. did.

0 Kudos
Pupdaddy
Advisor

...I think the last quail I can remember around here died in the blizzard of March 1978. The year I graduated from high school. I can remember hearing them call...and nearly crappin' my pants the first time a covey busted out of the weeds in front of me..LOL. Pheasants probably went the same way....the old corn pickers would lay stalks over..and the snow would form a great place for pheasants to shelter in...modern corn heads shred the stalk up too much.

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

Wasn't the blizzard in January of '78?

0 Kudos
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Re: Probably because

they don't have waist high weeds to nest in. In our part of Iowa there was a time when we could see pheasants by the hundreds in one flock in the early 50's. Then we ploughed up the fence rows and planted it all to corn and pheasant population grew.  With the advent of CRP acres we habe a few more but certainly not a bumper harvest of birds.

But do we ever have whitetail deer. Rats with antlers are still thriving in north Iowa.

0 Kudos