cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good scientists

Jump to solution

http://truth-out.org/news/item/16491-the-goodman-affair-monsanto-targets-the-heart-of-science

Of course we all know about the vast conspracy among scientific bureacrats to foist the clmate change agenda on us and destroy the American way of life.

But you have to give them credit where credit is due as they defend Roundup Ready (and the American Way of Life).

Go State!!!!

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Good scientists

Jump to solution

Well global warming, cooling or weather change or whatever they`re calling it these days is bunk to further a political agenda.  10,000 years ago Iowa was under a 1 mile thick sheet of ice...it melted...it was "global warming"...it wasn`t caused by Cadillacs, light bulbs and cow farts...and I think that was good cause I wouldn`t want to be under a sheet of ice. 

GMOs are another issue, yes as farmers that used to fight weeds and bugs, now have pristine fields of course we`ll get our Irish up at any bad mouthing that has helped us achieve this.  However, this gene tampering, putting jelly-fish genes into tomatoes hormones in milk and "corn based diet" might all come home to roost in nursing homes for those that have consumed this diet for 30-40 years.  then the news will be full of stories equating GMOs to "lead paint". 

But look at Roundup Ready, we have to spike it with old Atrazine and a safened Banvel and go back to Treflan to handle these super weeds.  And rootworms and cornbore are slipping past the goalie.  I really think Monsanto should`ve developed better chemistry, instead of playing God with gene manipulation.  With chemicals you can reformulate if it`s dangerous, but once the genes are messed with there isn`t any turning back.

All that said of course I plant GMO seed, I like pristine fields too. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Didn't mean to hit the "solution" button but please feel free to revel in the glory.

One good thing about GMOs is that for those of who plant non GMO corn it is getting pretty hard to find a European corn borer, thanks to everybody planting $250 seed.

Weed control really isn't that hard with plain old conventional programs either although I'll concede that a lot of chronic problems, particularly perennials, were brought to heel with glyphosate in the past.

If I was planting thousands of acres I'd probably think more seriously about stacks becasue it is such a low management system.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Fascinating to me that the Kochs et al have been able to triple stack climate science denial onto a bevy of beleifs on social litmus views.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: Good scientists/BADEERE

Jump to solution

Good post BADEERE, I think you sum it up pretty good for all the farmland owners in Iowa. We all like to complain about our seed corn costs with the new GMO Seeds, but it actually does save us alot of time and money. I plant some of my best CSR Rated fields at a 38,500 pop rate and the yields have been pretty good. Even last year with the Drought, my highest corn field got close to 200bu, and given the weather that was amazing. Say BADEERE, how are things looking in your part of Northern Iowa?

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Jump to solution

I had better crops than you RSW and I planted non-GMO

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

No ill will intended but honestly. There are two types > blame the bankers, blame the scientists, blame big AG, blame cargill,  blame blame.

To be adult, the patent is probably the most important invention of all time. It encourages capital formation. Legal precident is essential, capial has to make

decisions and we need consistant law. See US over the last 100 yrs, vs say Argentina,  ok ?

The odds of any different outcome were 1/20.

Of course producers wish otherwise but as well, where would you/we be wityhout capital formation?

pritch

Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

You probably did have better crops in 2012 than I did Mike, think my total yield was only 185 to 190bu. Did have a couple farms go around 200bu and considering the terrible drought in 2012, I thought a 200bu yield wasn't half bad. But sold alot of corn for $8 bucks and 200bu*$8= $1,600/acre in corn sales. I was very, very, pleased with the $1,600/acre in revenue. As you know a $1,600/acre revenue generated a very nice profit since my only land cost is around $25/acre in Property Taxes. But you know, I love buying that $250 to $300 per 80,000 kernal bags of seed corn, beats giving the money to the wife!!!!!!!!! A little joke there Mike!!!

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I'll riddle you this:  if GMOs are the boon that they were presented to be, why has US corn yield apparently plateaued? Or maybe more accurately, the surge in the early 200os has reverted to the mean.

Life forms are not transistors.  There may be very valuable benefits to be had from genetic modification but there needs to be the very strict application of the precautionary principle- there needs to be a very clear and very substantial benefit demonstrated, not just a business strategy.

The "accelerated yield trend" theme was mostly a chimera that led to a lot of bad public policy, including the size and timeline for the ethanol mandate. Corn yields were already stabilizing and rising primarily through plain old fashioned plant selection- primarily stiffer stalks for higher populations (always and forever the driver of higher yields) and a wider pollination nick to handle stress and pops better.  

Objectively, RR was a nice tool that has become a big problem with massive overuse of glyphosate and rapidly spreading weed resistance. The pitch was we'd use less and safer chemistry- guess what happened?  We're using more and we're using a whole, whole lot more glyphosate.

CNBC world is a pretty place where capitalism moves us ever forward to a better world but this part of the real world isn't so much.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Jump to solution

Your tenant is only palnting 30K seeds per acre. The other 8000 seeds go to plant part of his acres.

0 Kudos