cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Grain Bin Deaeths Down in 2012

other basic things- good bin spreaders, adequate aeration and basic pre-fill maintnenance- caulking, periodic cleanout under slotted floors (yech), clean and spray with insecticide before filling.  Core the bin pretty soon after harvest.  Run the fans to warm the grain evenly in the spring.

Most basic of all, I guess, have a good moisture tester, know what the incoming moisture is and what the appropriate dryer setting is and monitor what's coming out.

In most cases if you do those basic things there is no reason anyone will have to go into a bin until it is down to sweeping level.  Risk isn't 0 at that point but it is greatly reduced.

Back in the day it wasn't any fun having $2 corn go out of condition; less fun with $7 corn. Actually you can probably afford it more now but it makes even less sense in terms of pure economics.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Could be another late wet one coming although GDDs from here will dictate more than planting date.

In '93 (pardon me, I think I said '94 before and I'm sure there was some of that  year some places too, but for us it was the very slow maturing, great crop in '92 that wouldn't keep).  That corn tended to be light and just wouldn't keep even when i was dried right.

I did have a large bin that I carried into summer that year go bad and when I found it, climbed in without a respirator and started punching holes in the crust.  Bad idea. It was Blue Eye Mold and I got sicker than I've ever been in my life- undulating fever to 105 and on the second night I was on my hands and knees in the bedroom trying to get a breath and thinking I was going to die right there.

For the rest of my life I'll run fevers when I'm around stored grain- I can put it in but I can't be around taking it out.

This is a public service announcement.  First, avoid the situation by staying on top of things and have a good positive flow mask around.

I had other corn around and managed to mostly get that bin blended off but it could have killed me and certainly limited my enthusiasm for certain aspects of farming.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

We get them once a week at the post office. Most of the time they are repeats of previous talks. Need to keep things interesting or they'll become redundant as well. Statistics of recent accidents or efficiency improvements help. Pictures tell a lot without words.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Re: Grain Bin Deaths Down in 2012

Never checked the label buck, but I'd never tell even if I did. LOL
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Grain Bin Deaths Down in 2012

My point about government envolvment was that the code I mentioned deals with personal protective equipment. Shaggy reminded me that part of the code states that you have to wear cotton underwear when working on live electrical components. If they take PPE in a factory that far where would it end on grain bin safety? BTW I always complied with that code. Tried to get the HR lady at the plant to do a safety audit on the subject every now and then.... No luck.
0 Kudos