cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
k-289
Esteemed Advisor

'' Grain Glitch ''

Got an online message from my House Of  Representative concerning the   '' Section 199 ''   CO-Op   vs.  Private  grain purchase tax code goulash ---

One sentence said '' However, is the case of large scale - legislation , having been drafted by humans and subject to human error - it quickly became apparent a measure intended to level the playing field for cooperatives would put private and investor - owned commodity buyers at a disadvantage. In short, the provision would have incentivized farmers to sell their crops to cooperatives rather than to private buyers, distorting the market place.    

I'm still trying to analyze, understand,  this response ?  Has anyone here got a take on this ?        

0 Kudos
6 Replies
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Re: '' Grain Glitch ''

Our congress still bows to special interests........ then bows to the complainers......... who are just another special interest.   The best congress money can buy!

0 Kudos
k-289
Esteemed Advisor

I'm  think'n  your  on  the  mark  ( nailed it ) ,   chaos  corner,   interesting on the level playing field - unhun --- 

0 Kudos
JimMeade
Veteran Advisor

It's the right thing to do to remove this provision.  Around here, grain coops have been incompetent, going broke, getting bought out, run by farmers who know nothing about merchandising and marketing.  I'm glad to see the law going back to where it was.  But then, I haven't traded with my local coop for years except for energy where they are competitive.  The last thing I want is for them to have a competitive advantage over operations that do run efficiently.  I have no idea why people take less for their grain from the local coop than they can get from ADM, Cargill, GPC and so forth. 

sw363535
Honored Advisor

"level the playing field" is one of those phrases that tell you nothing is on the level.    🙂

0 Kudos
k-289
Esteemed Advisor

Eastern  Nebraska  has  a combo  -  '' private - co-op ''  partnership  LLC  - - -  

0 Kudos
JimMeade
Veteran Advisor

""level the playing field" is one of those phrases that tell you nothing is on the level."

Kinda depends on where you stand, doesn't it?  One man's level is another man's out of plumb.

0 Kudos