cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Ground truthing your seed dealers

This is a little public service announcement, but I hear seed prices aren`t down, only flat.   This is the time of year when they bug you to pay early and get the 11% or 14% off if you pay by Sept 15.   Well, the price might not be the the worst of it, one wonders if they don`t push hybrids that aren`t the "hot numbers" .  It might not be the dealer so much as the company steering sales towards tough selling numbers, the "hot numbers" have no trouble in being sold out by Thanksgiving.

This might be a issue where the "grower" isn`t as ahem "sophisticated" with the yield monitors and such, just the guy wanting the cheapest good yielding number.  If it doesn`t do as well and the 'grower" happens to remember where he planted it next harvest, the dealer can always come back with "Well remember you didn`t get the smart stack, you didn`t go with the Poncho/VOTiVO treatment...and well yeah we had trouble with that number, we`re discountinuing it for next year". 

But anyway, if you`re lucky enough to have cash this time of year to prepay, make sure you are getting the "hot new number for 2017"   Some times it fools em though, the hot number isn`t all it`s cracked up to be   🙂

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

Re: Ground truthing your seed dealers

Interesting point and good advice, I'm sure.

I was thinking that while most years I buy the seed the last day of the previous year, this year I might just hold out as long as possible and buy seed at the last minute.

Part of the reason I can do that is I'm cutting back and am not farming so many acres now.  I'm not so hung out.

I'm actually thinking that if soybeans and weeds are such a big problem, maybe I'll skip the RR and Liberty and just go back to non-GMO beans and bin run them in future years.  Save $50/acre (well, I don't save that much because I only plant 105-110k anyway).  🙂

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

How much Prairie Brand do you want at less than you paid last yesr? (Corn)

Don't even have to pay this month...
0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Senior Advisor

BA, while you have some good advice just remember that a corn hybrid will have a hundred different variables in any given year. A "hot" number one year may be a dud the next. Imagine trying to sell something like that. Ive sold seed long enough to recommend buying a few different hybrids to "diversify your portfolio" so to speak. Ive never been told to push poor producing numbers. I HAVE seen lower producing numbers priced cheaper. If a seed dealer says he has a couple numbers that are "on their way out" for $20 a bag cheaper, spend the extra money and ovoid that hybrid, they have something better. Look for a couple hybrids that are a year or two old with some yield data behind them. Make those proven hybrids the bulk of your order and try a couple brand new (higher priced) hybrids just to get a look. This way you save/make more money on the farm while staying "in the know" with your seed company or companies.  

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

What I find funny is the "numbers I recommend for your farm...better order early, they`ll go fast!"  don`t always match with the signs that go up the next summer on your neighbor`s field across the road.  But as you say, perhaps those are super-duper race horse numbers that come with risk of laying flat, but if conditions are right they knock it out of the park on yield and the neighbor knowingly is accepting that risk for the potential reward.   While on the otherhand, the dealer might be sizing up the other opperation in that that "grower' wants a non-sexy hybrid that is a workhorse, it`ll be reasonably priced, stand like timber...you`ll get your 200 bu out of that corn, year in and year out, but it won`t be winning the plots.  

The latter mentioned corn isn`t going to have any signs pounded in next to it, they maybe don`t even make signs for that number but it`ll pay your mortgage.

What I find amazing is some "growers" can rattle off certain companies corn numbers like the names of their children "yeah, that Px235xLR9 was some goood stuff this year, almost as good as my TQ973br549...I was shocked!...almost as good as the old WrP9J-111 that I planted in 2014"  Smiley Very Happy   seriously, I can`t tell you what I had for breakfast. 

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Hobbyfarmer, you mean Prairie Brand actually cut the price of their corn beyond the early pay discount?  Well good for them! 

I see last year they had a plot by Woden   🙂

http://prairiebrand.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Bartelt-Corn.pdf

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Looks like they were second best not bad....

Too bad it was only a two way race....

0 Kudos
elcheapo
Senior Advisor

well th ings are getting bad....talked to a fellow that owns a seed house....he is not happy with the brands he is carring.

none of them are lowering their seed prices........and he hears about it every day.......and he agree's with the farmers, it's

too high.  On the seed he rasies he is going to lower it......how can you expect people to spend $60 a bag for beans when they

only sell for $8.40/bu ?

He said corn is silly.

but, the coop will not say a word......and they already have their spin going.......oh, at these times you have to get every bushel out you can,

since that will produce the most income.....so they are telling you to plant the highest priced seed wheat.......to put on fungicide, insecide, some

sort of growth promoter...and regular seed treatment...also plant almost 2 bags of seed per acre...and put on even more fertilizer to max out

the yeild....and a program that will run over the field seveal times with chemicals...and even figuring on  1 or two sprayings for fungicide...

the said thing.....they have alot of people signed up for the program....the only thing they see is the dollar sign at the end of the stick (but it will be

a long time till you get to the end of the stick).....and they were even saying you can "afford" this, and should do "equity share"...and have the

landlord pay their share....

then haul it too us next year...and oh....if you want, you can even join in with the marketing pool....

yes...i am getting more and more sour each day...if it isn't the markets...it's the suppliers....and if not that, people in general have just went nuts.

0 Kudos