cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeff_a_Caldwell
Senior Contributor

Re: Guy gift ideas?

I may or may not have gotten my wife a Kindle Fire for Christmas (I hope she doesn't check the site here!). I'm anxious to see how it works. She's going to be on maternity leave (due Dec. 11) around Christmas, so I thought it'd be a good thing for her to have while she's recovering. I've heard mixed reviews on the Fire so far, but a few more positive ones than negative ones. I think the expectations are pretty high, and I don't think it's going to be a competitor for the iPad, but it's going to be pretty capable in several areas. 

Home brewers, eh? I have a couple friends who do that. Does it take a lot of time and tinkering? That's on my list of "things to do when I have a little more time." That list isn't getting any shorter!

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Congratulations on the new arrival. Hope Mom had the time to read...at least my friends on the women's page say that their grandkids enjoy stories on the color Nook. Our expected grandson was part of my desire to do the upgrade to a color Kindle. Actually, the reviews i have seen of Fire are very positive,, especially given its more reasonable price point. I plan to sit with mine at Starbucks if I get a break time in errands this afternoon, and see how it surfs on a fast connection ( still cursed with Hughesnet here!) So far, I like the touch functions and the ease of navigating the device. If you are already familiar with Kindle, it is a snap; if not, still a snap and a half. Homebrewing: takes some space and time, at least done on Mike's scale. I gave over the office kitchen for this a few years ago, and he has shelving for the stored beer product out there, the only downstairs closet in the house for the wine. Light is your worst enemy with either...the beer is cased, the wine racked in a closet with no light entry. He tends to use the days when it is too nasty out to enjoy this hobby. Tomorrow is forecast to be rainy and cold, so once he ships out pigs, I wouldn't be surprised to walk into the office, and inhale a wort boiling. The fermentation takes the time, and can have explosive results, especially if an airlock gets plugged. He is learning to engineer his own oversize blowoff devices, so hopefully no more nasty splatters in the shower stall in the office bathroom. Bottling is more cumbersome in a way that brewing. Wine is simple,.compared to beer, using the kits he buys, with the juices already extracted. We tend to enjoy a glass or so wit supper almost every night, and so he makes quite a bit of wine now...wine needs time to mature, whereas beer is generally ready for consumption at bottling. We are enjoying seeing how the different wines he has made have done over a couple of years in storage. It really does matter. In all, if your kitchen is set up somewhat to comfortably can fruits and vegetables, you probably could tolerate the brewing process. Storage is about an equal consideration...a dark pantry with strong shelving is fine for alcohol storage, too. If you like to cook, you may enjoy brewing...but, plan on cleaning up after yourself, please! BTW, as I am typing this, Mike, SIL and hired man are unloading that unsafe, with the aid of my furniture dolly and the baby Bobcat. I have trouble getting one guy to help bring in the groceries! What's up with that?
0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Damned iPad...

....I KNOW I typed and corrected the word " gunsafe" at least twice! Mind of its own....
0 Kudos
Jeff_a_Caldwell
Senior Contributor

Re: Damned iPad...

Ha! I need to get out to your place sometime, Kay! Sounds like it's about the busiest place in the countryside today! Ha! Go yell at those guys and tell them to be careful not to drop that thing on anybody's toes!

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

I am quite sure i paid for at least a couple pair of steel toes in the trio, Jeff! That tiny Bobcat will fit through a standard 36 inch doorway, so I expect to smell fumes any minute. Actually, things are really slow here compared to the norm. Last house of twelve from the former sow farm leaves the place. and then we are in a clean depop for about 2-3 weeks. First time we have had less than eight houses of nursery pigs on the place since February 23, 1995! Ironically, this first break in almost 17 years falls when our daughter's first child is due any day now...so, no chance we are going anywhere... Her due date was called for December 10, but she was put on bed rest three weeks ago. I am thnking we will meet this little guy by Thanksgiving. Please let us know when your little one arrives, and how your wife likes her " maybe" Christmas present.
0 Kudos
Jeff_a_Caldwell
Senior Contributor

Will do! Hey, since our due dates are so close together, we'll race you! Ha! Best of luck to her. I'll definitely let you all know! I'm sure I'll be the fool posting pictures to Facebook a few minutes after the birth! It is kind of nice to have an excuse NOT to travel on the holidays like this! I told my wife the other day that we should have a baby every year in mid-December. My black eye should be healed in a week or 2! Ha!

0 Kudos
smokeyjay
Advisor

Same here, Kraft.  The rewards of being around family and they interacting with us are priceless gifts.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Poor Jeff! Honestly, if this little guy doesn't make his appearance soon, I think my daughter will lose her mind. She is the most active person - male or female - I know, and three weeks of bed rest has frayed her patience. I am a poor entertainer, but am doing my best. She commented yesterday that SIL won't want this one to have a baby brother or sister, after this spell. I am hoping they will both develop amnesia.... Boy or girl at your house?
0 Kudos
Jeff_a_Caldwell
Senior Contributor

We're doing it the old-fashioned way and not finding out the gender until he/she makes it into the world. Our daughter thinks it's going to be a boy, though! I'm just hoping for a healthy little guy/gal!

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

1/2" drive cordless impact wrench    rechargeable flashlight   a set of ratcheting wrenches   step ladder   cordless drill   adjustable (crescent) wrenches and adjustable (water pump) pliers are always welcome as they can be used anywhere for anything     please buy brand name tools    if you buy the cheap stuff you end up buying the good stuff later anyway

0 Kudos