cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gelinnew
Visitor

HEMP FARMING ACT OF 2018

Jump to solution

Alright so I'v been looking into investing in industrial hemp. I live in north carolina and have been hearing good things about pilot programs done by the state. Last year went very well and this year there is even more acreage that has been allowed by the state for certified hemp farmers .

I know nothing about farming. Im 28,  a former correctional officer II and im currently in my first year of college ( yeah, I started late). My interest in farming began a few months ago after my dad told me about crop science.

Anyway, i'd like to hear some opinion from people who know about farming, own a farm, work on a farm, etc.  What do you think of industrial hemp as an agricultural commodity? Do you think the hemp farming act has a chance to pass on June 22nd?  Would YOU invest in hemp?  

http://www.timesnews.net/Community/2018/05/05/div-class-libPageBodyLinebreak-Bill-would-allow-farmer...

I'd also like to add that some people seem to attach the stigma of marijuana to hemp without realizing that they are NOT one and the same. They are two different plants.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: HEMP FARMING ACT OF 2018

Jump to solution

I am personally leery of niche markets.  I've seen too many cases where the company buying can tighten or relax standards depending on how bad they want the product.  This is even with a contract.

I'm not saying don't do it, I'm saying I'd be skeptical and would want to check it out in all regards.

What happens if the market gets flooded and you can't get rid of your hemp?  You can usually sell corn even if it's at a loss, but can you sell hemp if there is no buyer?

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Jump to solution

Study the US hemp industry and consider the effect of adding a million tons of production to that market.

Is the need there?  Will it grow?

Most rope I see used is synthetic and I like synthetic better than hemp rope.  --- just one example.

Cotton is better .......

Do a little reading on the subject in something besides promotional web sites.... even a wiki search will tell you how little market there is in the world

France is europes biggest market and producer and they have less than 41,000 acres.  And 95% of that production goes to livestock bedding.  Not conducive to higher value with many options for bedding.

Try if you can to improve the quality of your internet reading.

0 Kudos
gelinnew
Visitor

Jump to solution

Have you not heard of CBD oil for medicinal use ( especially for epilepsy). Do you not know of ALL the uses for hemp? have you never heard of hemp paper, fuel, etc . I could sit here all DAY and tell you about the many uses for hemp. There's a potential market for it that you seem to know nothing about .Try if you can to think outside the box.  I'm not talking about industrial hemp only for products like animal bedding and rope.

-_-

shifting laws and attitudes in general toward hemp (AND marijuana, for that matter) have been changing the demand for it. There was once huge demand for hemp and there may be again. Old timer, it seems like you cant see the forest for the trees.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Jump to solution

Well, if you are convinced, why are you wasting your time by asking us instead of pursuing these wonderful opportunities?  When you've succeeded in a year or two, please drop back and give us a report and maybe we'll join you.  Good luck.

rob2822118
Friend

Jump to solution

You're right about there being a huge market for hemp extracts and other uses beyond paper and rope. Improving genetics and changing state regulations are progressing quickly as well, so high-yield CBD hemp grown and processed in the U.S. is able to compete well with international sources.

Beware that there has been a huge glut in many states, and the market is going to take a while to sort itself out. The big winners will be the processors and the large scale commodity farmers, but also the producers of top quality crops. A premium is paid at every level for high quality and clean green certified (the cannabis/hemp version of organic).

Everyone can dismiss the value of niche organic markets, but clean soil is more important with hemp/cannabis than most crops. Remember, it's ditch weed. This is a plant that will suck up every toxin in the soil. 

Whether you are consuming CBD oil for arthritis or taking prescription seizure medication, you damn sure don't want it sourced from 20,000 unregulated acres near a polluted river in China. You want it to be clean, close to the source, and well regulated.

I'd love to know if you go forward with it. Keep us posted!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Jump to solution

First problem you have is a total misunderstanding of hemp. Fiber hemp has zero medicinal value and hemp grown for the med use has no fiber value. The next problem is cost of production extremely labor intensive and venerable to environmental damage. Not for the novice to try more go broke trying it than make money . A few tried it in northern Tenn. last year and it was a total failure due to weather. Ended with an unmarketable product. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Jump to solution

Reality just doesn't correlate with promotion claims....

1.  CBD is available, even in my small town, and is not extremely expensive...... are there benefits ----- yes --- for those in need of some mild mood alteration  ie high stress,  depression, nerve pain. etc etc......But it is not in short supply now..... Most of the promotion is not promising to fill demand, but trying to generate some demand.

2.  Good smoking grass...... There is a huge demand in the US.....  but it is already being filled with product that is relatively cheap and plentiful.  Even a closed border won't change that.  I really doubt that the rest of the public envy those who recreationally use it.  And if true legality is not going to raise more demand.

3  The american public is not excited about beautiful safe mass produced hemp and will probably prefer the China Organic handled by peasants sold with a promotional lie of somewhat pure super strength  over the clean inspected usda stamped "factory" produced product with labeled guarantees.  

4  Colorado is a wonderful experiment in consumer demand..... and as always statistics are being used to mislead.... But ask the right questions to the right people and you will get real answers...... like ... a question to law enforcement.... How does the current useage and demand for product compare with the illegal sales and supply of the same products before the law change?  How does the cost compare?  If the street price is lower with legalization ( assuming the costs of regulation and oversight), than the registered government approved agents sources, what amount is still sold unregulated?  .................has demand risen or stayed the same?

Almost every bit of information seen publicly is promotional and misleading.

short point --- demand is already being filled whatever it is..... how does this relatively cheap product become profitable in mass production?

The questions I have is ............... Who sees a market that will survive a million acre expansion or 5 million acres on top of the well established production already in place?   Even aspirin, one of the most widely used health aids in the world was dominated by two or three producers world wide.   My big question -- what does this have to do with agriculture......??    If we are just talking about health issues, it is an FDA issue?

and if colorado is any sign of what is to come, it will be a cash cow for government agencies, which is a clue as to why it is in the usda budget.

IMO  It probably presents near 0 promise to growers on large scale........ but for usda it is something in the budget that most congressmen and women will vote for. 

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Jump to solution
Is there money in hemp....yes....for the promoters.
I've researched starting a coop for producers.
Example...the fiber...yes it's a Woody plant,
Thusly fiber....a company has developed mobile
Fiber processing units, which they intend to
Mount in a car trailer and have a small fleet of
Them they will drag around...the cost $1.5 million
They look alot like at couple of hay swather rollers