cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fbf
Senior Reader

Hay preservatives

Jump to solution
I'm thinking of buying a hay Preservatives system from new holland. Any feedback good or bad would be appreciated. I will be using 567 john deere round baler. thank you in advance for your feedback
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Hay preservatives

Jump to solution

Many years ago, we looked into this type of system, and were warned that the chemicals involved could wreak havoc on the baler, in terms of corrosion.  Maybe they have improved them by now. 

fbf
Senior Reader

Jump to solution
Thank you kay/NC
0 Kudos
Contributor

Jump to solution

I believe Kay/NC is referring to a system that uses acetic acid and my understanding is like hers- it was very corrosive and rusted out the baler pretty quickly.  I read an article a couple years ago (I think) about improvements that use a buffered acid solution that is much less corrosive but still has the preservative qualities, and that may be what New Holland now uses.  I agree with her advice- I would do plenty of research, and try to talk with someone who has been using the system for a couple seasons. I am sure it works for some, but I still think the best hay preservative is a couple warm, sunny days with a light breeze (i bale mostly orchard grass, and that works best for me)!

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Jump to solution

We have always felt that a tedder was money well spent...can really speed up drying time, and saving hay in good condition is the most crucial variable.  Spreading out the crop to enable air ans sunshine to get maximum esposure usually is worth the money and tiem expended. 

Otherwise, that extra day in the field is usually the one when it rains.....

fbf
Senior Reader

Jump to solution
Thank you again
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Jump to solution

@fbf wrote:
I'm thinking of buying a hay Preservatives system from new holland. Any feedback good or bad would be appreciated. I will be using 567 john deere round baler. thank you in advance for your feedback

That system is buffered propionic acid.  As the others have said, acid will eat up steel, buffered only slower.

I have used an entirely different type of preservative on my hay for nearly 20 years.  It is a lacto-bacillus inoculant from the Forage Research Company called "Sila-Prime".  It is available in a dry granular or a wettable powder form.   The dry stuff is put on with a Gandy box on the baler.  I use 3 lbs of the dry form per ton.  It costs a buck per pound for the inoculant, so it costs $3 per ton of hay treated.  Propionic acid is around ten bucks per ton treated.  It works even better than they claim it does.  I have used it on hay near 40% in moisture and it keeps just fine.  Dry hay is the best way to keep hay, but getting it too dry just means leaves shattering off the stems and here in Iowa, we rarely get enough dry days to put up hay without some help.

Here is their website.  It really does work and it also makes the hay digest better in their digestive system.

http://www.silaprime.com/

0 Kudos
Contributor

Jump to solution

I agree, i always use my tedder, i am convinced hay dries more evenly and bales better (especially square bales), even when you do get that extra day for drying.  My neighbor says you really don't need one, but he seems to borrow mine quite often...

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Jump to solution

Lactobacillus is a great probiotic...I think it's one of the active cultures in yogurt, and I know there is L. acidophillus in some specialty milk.  It was what I gave my kids when they were young, to aid in their digestion.  Makes sense it would work in other mammals, too. 

0 Kudos