cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Hearing Protection

When I was a kid, I never used hearing protection.  Now, I often use hearing protection, especially around long duration or very loud noise.  I even use it on the lawn mower.

I'm curious if many farmers worry about their hearing and if they do anything about it (besides learning to read lips). 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Hearing Protection

Probably more of their wives worry about it...since we are the ones who notice that the radio and TV are turned up louder, or that their mate hears a word or two, and then fills in the blanks, often inaccurately.  The noise level in the house rises in general, but there is a lot of denial about this subject. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Yes but Women mumble, I told my Wife that if I`m putting on a chore coat with a plier and wrenches clanging in the pockets, The Comstock Report on the radio and the kids yammering about some nonsense..I can`t understand her if she`s a room away "talking into to washing machine".   Communication is 90% non-verbal and I need eye contact to really get through to me.  Now I don`t mean to offend anyone, but we live in a noisey world these days tv`s radios I-pods and to compete for someone`s attention(if it`s important) eye contact has to be made.  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

LOL, I thought only my wife waits for Sue Martin to show up on Market to Market, to decide to holler something to me from two rooms away, and then wonder why I didn't hear it clearly.  To her defense, she has ears like a bat.  I swear if you blindfolded her, she could echolocate, and can hear a mouse sneeze a quarter mile away, on the far side of an ariplane during takeoff.

Seriously, though, I have hearing problems in some tones, due to bad ear infections when I was a kid.  At one point, they had to actually pierce one eardrum, to release the pressure in a controlled manner.  It left me all but deaf on that side within a certain sound range, but had it exploded, I would be totally deaf on that side.  My other ear has some damage as well, but not nearly as much, which means that 90% of the time when someone has something important to say, they whisper it into the 'deaf' ear LOL.

As to hearing protection, I use it when necessary.  The BEST ones are the gel-comfort ones designed for shooters.  They have more adjustments, and are more comfortable than any I have ever used, and aren't that much higher than just plain hearing protection muffs.  It is funny, how crappy, uncomfortable things marked 'hearing protectors' cost $20, while very comfortable ones, with better protection, marked 'shooters muffs' are only $25-$30.  For $30, I have a pair with a 'noise valve' as they call it, that when open, lets you hear a little better than with the standard 'hearing protectors', but when a sudden loud noise occurs, like being inside the belly of a combine, with a hammer, or a gunshot, etc, the valve somehow closes off, and dampens it.  It even works with an impact wrench, working in a grain bin.  When the impacts start, everything else goes 'quiet' until the hammering stops.  As a bonus, they are quite comfortable.  I also have a set with a radio built in, for when I'm driving the old tractors without a cab, doing fieldwork.  I do not wear anything with a radio when I'm mowing roadsides, or shredding, as I want to hear any odd noises, even if they are muffled.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Nebrfarmr, I think we probably talked about this back when I wrote a column in SF about my hearing aids a while back, but wow, do I know exactly what you mean! Our biggest problem is my wife sometimes doesn't know I don't have them in, so will talk really quietly, or won't know that I DO have them in, and talk really loudly. Not to mention my 4-year-old daughter's insistence on screaming like a banshee half the time, but only when I have my ears in! Whew! 

I think that type of hearing loss you and I have, when there are certain frequencies that we can't hear, is sometimes the toughest to convince yourself that you could use some help. But, I also think that's typical of occupational hearing loss caused by machinery or other noise. 

I do still use hearing protection, too, when I'm around any kind of machinery or anything like that. Even though I typically don't wear my hearing aids when I'm doing that sort of thing, not wearing hearing protection causes my ears to ring more after I'm done working, and even with my hearing aids in later on, that ringing is still present.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Re: For you young guys

Protect your hearing now or regret it later. Too much machinery noise and LOUD music will ruin your hearing permanently. I am an authority on the subject as I wear $5K worth of hearing aids in my ears and I am still guessing about what I am hearing most of time. Lip reading is a great assist.

I grew up on cabless tractors, noisy cabs and rock and roll music. When the wife whispers in my ear I cannot hear and I think it was a missed opportunity. Do not let this happen to you. Protect your hearing NOW!

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: For you young guys

Amen, Kraft-t. When I see all these people walking around with iPod earbuds in their ears, it makes me wonder what kind of damage just the general population is doing to its hearing, let alone the folks using equipment and stuff that can really harm one's ears. Seems like it can't be good...

0 Kudos