cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

High Wind

A lot of wheat acres lost in the last 4 days in sw.  Sympathy to those who endured the tornadoes, 60 to 85 mph winds and dirt storms of saturday and tuesday.  Major roads were closed in areas.  We have been doing pretty well, living on the edge this winter. Wheat was doing better than expected, but with little sub moisture this was to be expected must be march.

Eastern press release:

Greedy farmers, holding last years corn, move millions of acres of $500 land into position for quick resale in northern states where acres sell for 5 figures.  There should be an investigation----no wait----------------where is that?---------well maybe not.

-------------------

Was a tough few days.      Chin up and clean up time.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: High Wind

A tornado touched down near Stapleton, NE, which is West of me, but I haven't heard about anyone being hurt as of yet.  There were places in Nebraska, with 2 inches of hail (the hailstones weren't two inches in size, after it was over, the ground was two inches deep with hail) with drifts up to 2 feet deep, snowplows had to clear roadways afterwards.  With the wheat in the area just greening up, will that do much damage to it?  If so, prayers to their losses, on top of everything else.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Gettin' a bit obvious that a lot of the area wheat acres are headed for the diseaster bin again.  Blew pretty hard today again.

got enough showers to get it to here but not enough to change the big picture.  Two hard blows and 50% of it looks in trouble.  half of that was weak & struggling from the start.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

It shouldn't hurt the wheat.  The earliest I ever had any wheat damaged from hail was April 14th.  Normally, it wouldn't even have damaged the wheat then but it stayed cold enough that the hail didn't melt.  The reason the wheat was damaged was because it was jointing and the hail that close to the ground actually froze the wheat below the joint.  Wheat getting hailed now won't have much affect there considering it isn't jointing yet.  Wheat's a pretty tough crop.  Some guys even call it a weed.  We've grazed wheat until May 10th before and still got a crop. 

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Thanks for the info.  We have had wheat damaged by hail in years past, but it seemed like it was into May when it happened.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

we have adjusters out in area now.  Not hail ---wind--stands were just not good enough to hold the topsoil, thus cutting wheat off at ground.  Dirt piled in ditches in spots.  Roads closed for blowing dust saturday and tuesday.  A few fields blown down to hard in isolated spots.

We have areas that have not raised a crop or even cover for nearly two years(dryland).  

No til is looking fairly decent but conventional did not have the moisture to loose if we worked the field.

From Garden City Ks south there is a large area that has planted but not been able to get decent wheat started now for 2 years(dryland).  there is a small very thin stand and the wind is cutting it off in sizeable areas.

In the okla panhandle the large areas have had less 3 inches of rain in the season prior to planting.  Since has had enough showers(1.5 to 2 inches total) to get it through a mild winter but the tiny stuff is not standing up to 60+mph gusty winds.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

IMO---much of this stuff was headed for the insurance office from the start.  We still do not have subsoil moisture and have had an easy mild winter.  But nothing has happened to change the drought conditions in the texas panhandle, okla panhandle, and sw ks.

You don't see decent wheat till you get quite a bit east of here---nearly to OKCity or Pratt, Ks.

And high priced cattle have ranchers desperate to hold on to them.  Pastures have been grazed to the roots.  We have native grass struggling at risk of wind erosion.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Meanwhile here in NW Ohio we are still and continue to be wet, since last July.  While this is not a big wheat area we do raise some and bale off the straw for bedding.  I don't think there's 100 acres within 20 miles of me that looks good enough to keep.  Very little was even planted last fall.  Straw is at an all time high and next winter looks to be higher yet.  I have been getting $30+ for 2 year old round bales of straw stored outside.  

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

We send the wind energy your way. NWO. Same pattern as last summer.
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Get'n some strong southwesterly up here in Nebr  today--- No dirt moving though

0 Kudos