cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JimMeade
Veteran Advisor

Horse Slaughter

Congress may relax the ban on horse slaughter in the U.S., to the delight of many groups and the dismay of others.  Horse slaughter has always made sense to me and opposing it has seemed like an emotional position held by people who don't have enough work to do - too much time and money.

My guess is that permitting horse slaughter may increase interest in keeping horses, since one doesn't have to be afraid one can't get rid of it.

What do you think?  Does it bother you if people eat horse meat?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
NewAgJudge
Senior Contributor

Re: Horse Slaughter

IDK, they really shouldn't be classified " livestock " but do have a meat value and puts a bottom in the market.

Besides, they have been going on long rides to Mexico anyway, so bring it.

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

First of all Yuck! yuck yuck yuck.    But if they have to do that, at least have plants devoted to it, I don`t want to ever hear of any "mix ups" at the packing plant.   Just send the crap overseas and keep it out of our good beef supply.

But in the olden days there were the jokes about the glue factory and dog food.  Now, I don`t think it`s in dog food, the rendering trucks charge $700 or whatever to pick a horse up.  Seems to me these horse nuts that spend all that money, paying $700 is a drop in the bucket to all the hay and oats they buy.

Thing is with hogs a guy has to be PQA certified and beef is moving to BQ certified.   Well these horse jockeys can go to Fleet Farm and buy all kinds of antibiotics and pump these horses full of God knows what and break needles off and everything else...question is would that be fit for "human" consumption?

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Another case of the insane running the asylum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45X0_m1KYQM

0 Kudos
JimMeade
Veteran Advisor

BA - I've eaten horse and dog.  Horse is better.  🙂

Horse is a delicacy in many parts of the world.

People will eat anything if they are hungry enough. During the Union siege of Vicksburg in the Civil War, rats disappeared from the city.  One of my lieutenants ate rat in Viet Nam.  I didn't; I just at duck heads.

My German mother-in-law referred to cats as Dachhasen - roof rabbits because they were hunted down near the end of WWII because people were hungry.

People get squeamish over the funniest things.  Now, I'll grant I never developed a taste for eel, but some like it.

0 Kudos