cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Re: Can I say something ?

SW I can see your problem right off the bat, your "c's" are above your x's from 14 on.........

how does one fix it........I've got to ponder on that one for a while.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Re: How To Cope With Less Cash

I think for some the easy cutting has been done, such as trading pickups every other year, cutting smartstax seed to conventional and letting non-profitable rented land go.  Others, you`d have to do a double take at the markets to make sure corn isn`t still trading at $7...??? (hey if some of these people wrote a book, I`d buy a autographed copy). 

But it seems to me, those in a little bit of trouble would want to protect the owned land, that is your "king" on the chessboard, your hobby cattle operation that are a Heinz 57 variety and can`t really tell if they`re profitable or not are "pawns", cows are a good price ...sell `em and pay off debt or buy inputs. 

Becks hybrids sent out a great book, sharing their research on what farm practices pay and have a worthwhile ROI.  I`d recommend getting a copy of the book because it`s surprising on things that are peddled with a lot of promises actually lose you yield and money, no one can afford that in this environment.  I hate to mention specific practices, because there`s differences in regions. 

Perhaps the book can be downloaded here.  Becks does have videos different issues, including on the benefits of moldboard plowing Smiley Happy  hee hee hee  but there again, there`s a difference in regions.

https://www.beckshybrids.com/PFR/PFR-Books-and-Videos 

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I'm waiting for some good ideas after next week AFBF  convention -  M A G A message ,  tickets are still available for $100.oo members & $250.oo  non members ---

Can't afford to go - $500.oo  for 2 tickets, guess I'll wait for the info after the gala message from Commander in Chief, hopefully all markets limit up after next Monday , then go see the banker --- 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I have a deal for you, K-289.  You join my county`s Farm Bureau for $55, then you and your wife can go to the AFBF gala for $100/ea ...look at all the money you`d save!   Here`s what the Farm Bureau does for you.

Savings through Farm Bureau’s legislative success Member volunteers get involved to ensure farmers and rural residents have a voice in legislative and regulatory issues at the state level and in Washington – on behalf of all Farm Bureau members. Here are the results of that work Additional funding for county roads and bridges Based on statewide average of $72 million for counties from increase fuel tax funding.
                                                                                         Availability of water quality initiative and conservation funds Based on cost share funds farmers can receive for qualifying projects.
Reduction in property taxpayer burden - Savings on 500 acre farm - Savings on $150,000 home - Savings on $500,000 business Based on shift of school infrastructure cost from property tax funding to sales tax.
Lower E10 fuel costs at the pump Savings based on average fuel purchases for two personal vehicles.
Value of developing a biofuel industry in Iowa Value added based on average market value of corn and soybeans on a 500 acre farm.
Assessment of farmland on productivity formula Tax savings based on the uniform school levy plus the lowest rural tax levy for a 500 acre farm. Many farmers save at a higher rate.                                                                                           Sales tax exemption on farm machinery Tax savings based on new machinery purchase plus average repairs, parts and utility costs.                                                                                               Peace of mind for landowners Based on new protections from lawsuits by guests visiting for recreation and education activities.                                                                                     
Average funding per farmer $1,200
$883 $171 $487
$189
$220
$12,956
$2,285
PRICELESS
Average funding per county/per year $725,0

Then Morton buildings, John Deere, Case IH, Ford and others have $500 to $3,000 savings to members

https://www.iowafarmbureau.com/Member-Benefits#financialInsurance

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

marketeye will been sending you an advertising big

our farm bureau....the only reason we are member is they are the cheapest place to insure our farm truck...

all the other "stuff" you said, does not apply here..

They have been asked to assist with things, and do nothing.  Their insurance services unit hurt a lot of people last year on

the health insurance, but not give correct or accurate information.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I tell ya what Elcheapo, if it wasn`t for the Farm Bureau our property taxes would be through the roof like Nebraska and Minnesota, but we got in the best governor in the history of the world Terry Branstad.  And now that Terry is in China looking after our interests for President Trump, we now have the second best Governor in the world, Kim Reynolds...they look after us in Iowa.

Okay, the past dunderhead administrations, (just one small example) they had a law where farmers couldn`t do their own electric work, the hell with that noise, I will never hire a high priced electrician!  Even with that "law" I would`ve done my own electric work, if they came around inspecting I`d have a deep hole dug, (DNR approved) and dump `em in it.  But the Farm Bureau and the Branstad administration made it so it wouldn't come to that.

The only thing I`ll tell the Farm Bureau up front is, I ain`t gonna write letters supporting NAFTA, I`m sorry Farm Bureau but on trade and immigration my country WILL come first!

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

BA-  I'll pass on your offer, as I maybe plan on being in Omaha for the  G E I C O - A I G  parent company convention the first week of May --- With my expense of the Nashville trip I could by 5 or maybe 10 shares of B stock ---

I find with interest your talking points of exemptions, savings & shift of burden on several topics though ---          

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Trade you governors.........hey, to make the pot even sweeter..........i'll throw in a Lt. Governor !!!!

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

We suddenly bounced way past the hope and change stage to where statements are brought to you by the letters B and S, and the number 3....   Smiley Happy

Problem about cash flow blaming on trading with JD or new truck....  etc.   boil down to technology advancement.  ingrained and forced by regulation and crack science.  Not going to go away with one vote, but will eventually go away with the light of reality.

Please take the time to explain to me how we bypass the accelerating costs of operation built into every peice of equipment..

The farmer can enjoy that euphoric feeling that comes with not trading equipment and seeing the debt load decline for a couple of years. But that is followed by a nasty dependency withdrawal headache trying to maintain productivity.

Then there is the reduction of acres avenue option which drives cost per acre way beyond the savings of loosing the least productive acres.

2012-2014 will be the whiplash that propells the US farm economy into an international corporate responsibility.  It will downsize midwestern banking and every rural community into quick stops on the UPS routes at an ever quickening pace.

Whatever steps that need to be taken should be taken as slowly as possible. Big changes look very difficult to make to me.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

SW - Good analogy , although my best soy yield of 70+ on a small tract planted with a '' J D 7000- 36'' row ''  8 row  front -folding tool bar --- Beans were weighed separate with being last small field harvested on a 7 acre patch, previously to small grain & manually cultivated with a gear grinding 1066---

I have waited close to 7 cropping cycles to match this yield both irrigated and dry land, sand & heavy ground, soooo tech clearly might be holding off on all of the answers--- 

One thing the ole 7000 didn't shore up my finical statement, although the payment plan had  '' O '' % interest ---

Your  3rd sentence might be cause for lost, in keeping up with the tsunami of invention, although a continuous solid 2nd might '' trump '' an occasional 1st , being when one thinks we have a lock on it , here comes the curve ball --- 

Self sufficient, in these times builds character - I've heard spoken before & your 2012-14 reminder being mindful of the irrational exuberance portfolio's is point well taken ---           

0 Kudos