Honored Advisor

Re: How Will Ag Robotics Affect You?

[ Edited ]

This is a great topic and I did not intend to demean it...

The struggles with the subject can cause calluses.  Let me draw a picture.  

Eight young men in a field harvesting corn.  Some on Grain Carts, some on combines, some on trucks.

In a field making 180+ bushel per acre, it is a rather large sewing machine in constant motion and well oiled....through technology...

Move that crew to a field making 140 bpa...

Now one is watching cubs highlights, two are into a music concert(of those two one is sleeping), one is visually conversing with his girlfriend in eastern europe(while operating a combine), no one is where they need to be and the trucks are sitting while drivers listen to mozart and read on ag.com.... Effeciency gone......... through technology...

That was yesterday.... A long corn harvest is over and we are on to the next crop....

In the middle of the misery of low yields and shrink toasted, low quality corn, I brought up the subject of robotic equipment to this group of young harvesters....  Everyone sees the plus side in effeciency and nearly everyone talked about the continual small decisions that are made in the field...Yet everyone is into technology enough to see that "it can and will happen".....

And of course I got asked....... How will it affect US......   and  How has the US changed in your lifetime.....??  

That is when you know your getting old....

But it is an onward progression of change...and robotics just seems like the most likely next step....  

Human endeavor is a conglomerate of imperfection.  Quality is only noticed by the imperfections that surround it... 

Lip service to the poor and less educated.  We are marching onward to technology and robotics because it will enhance the lives of some and seperate the rich from the poor...

A theme that has played out over and over through the centuries...  Technology creates the ability for the rich to expand without the poor....     It is a human nature thing........ because naturally if you are rich you must be smarter........ Right??  

I know this because I read magazines who feature the biggest and the best....who can afford to be the biggest and the best......

Subject Author Kudos Posted
This is a topic with new unread messages 0 ‎10-18-2016 11:07 PM
0 ‎10-19-2016 07:19 AM
0 ‎10-19-2016 07:35 AM
0 ‎10-21-2016 08:19 AM
0 ‎10-25-2016 09:21 AM