cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

How many days it take to plant corn crop?

John Phipps talked about this in his USFR commentary..."it used to take a little over 2 weeks now it takes a little under 2 weeks".   Yup, all these Bigshots running around with 36 row planter, going 10mph in the field and planting progress is still like getting over the common cold, it`s always taken "a week to 10 days" 🙂

Some all this running on the road and getting to a small field and unfolding and getting the bugs out of the software takes longer to actually plant the field.   So where "farmer Joe" used to go down the road 1/2 mile with a unfolded 8 row planter, he could just go get to the field drop & go, with only software issues would be if the hydraulics would raise and lower the markers.   Today "Joe Bigshot" might farm 100 miles away, if it`s raining at "home" he and the caravan of hired men drive 100 miles where it supposedly isn`t raining.   They get there and guess what it starts raining and Sun shinning and drying out back "home" don`t tell me God doesn`t have a sense of humor  🙂

There are other factors too I`ve noticed, most farmers have off farm jobs, at work sun shinning and they only can get to the field after 5pm and weekends.  Also with this bigger equipment there are less farmers putting in "all nighters" 20 years ago at 2,3 in the morning there would be planters rolling and some following markers in the dark (done it myself and sometimes I planted straighter in the dark   🙂  )  

But here is the study by Scott Irwin and Todd Hubs

www.farms.com/commentaries/how-many-days-does-it-take-to-plant-the-u-s-corn-crop-134384.aspx

0 Kudos
11 Replies
WCMO
Senior Advisor

Re: How many days it take to plant corn crop?

Goes pretty fast when nothing goes wrong.  Not sure when that's happened for me, but it's probably happened somewhere for somebody.

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

It does go fast, there`s a 200 acre field next to me that a BTO from 20 miles away comes in and plants in probably under 3hrs.   I think the big chunks of patterned tiled ground goes in fastest (especially along main highways  🙂  ).   But all fields aren`t a quarter section or larger and all aren`t within 20 miles of "home".   And if the weather doesn`t cooperate, even patterned tile has it`s limitations.    I would say we get to 60% planted at break neck speeds, it`s that last 1/3 or so that can be a challenge, but it`s all relative, if it`s a dry warm spring, it`s easy to be a rockstar.

If you`re able to start April 20th (which we didn`t in NCIA)  2 weeks is really fast, it gets you to the 5th of May (what more do you want in NCIA?).   But, if it`s a slow to come spring and there`s a field 15 miles from home that`s 80% fit on the 5th of May, what do you do?  I guess look at forecasts and divine a answer there if you should do what you can and go around wet spots and come back 3 weeks later?  or mud the unfit 20% in?   That`s why we get the big bucks   🙂

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

In the media................... from now to the next edition..... 

0 Kudos
elcheapo
Veteran Advisor

The way things going around here as of late...
A couple month
0 Kudos
deasmatt90
Senior Contributor

Same acres bigger equipment but less farmers and less equipment
0 Kudos
clayton58
Veteran Advisor

Are there more row units at work than say 20 years ago?
0 Kudos
deasmatt90
Senior Contributor

I would think not. Same amount of row units just less planters for them to go on
0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

matt90's firest statement was right ......... less operators....  fewer tractors.

But lets simplify it the good guys will be done in 5 days  the bad guys will plant for 4 weeks.

Do we have planting crews that move with the planting season....?   I used to think we would eventually.

I do think there is equipment that moves from area to area during planting.

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

Bad  Guys  -  ?   ?

0 Kudos