cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: I have thrown in the Towel on Planting

Yes, we are very lucky to have better crop insurance today than back in the 1980's. And yes the $80,000+/year the Taxpayer pays for my crop insurance is much appreciated. The $534/acre PP Payment will allow me to try again next year.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Re: I have thrown in the Towel on Planting/raedmond51

Mike, I talked to my agent today about replanting.  Anyway, I asked him the 2 questions you asked your agent and he said that both answers your agent gave were wrong and your guy needed to get an updated rule book.  2 years ago you could get the fall price if it was higher but that was changed.  I'm not trying to be smart with you, just want to make sure you have the right info to make your decisions with.  Like I said, this is a issue all the time in the area my agent covers, so they are very up to date on the rules.  I would think my guy is correct and yours that this is probably the first time he has to deal with it is incorrect.  Good luck.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

I did look up the harvest price option on RMA and see that it did say it was the spring elected price.  They always say call your agent and that is what she sent me because i wanted the correct answer.  As far as average yields, my question was what yield will be assigned to this field after PP for future years and she said it would be the average yield of the fields that got planted this year.  Is that correct? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

It will remain the same as this year since there is no corn yield to be entered into your history.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

I took some pro-boxes back to my channel dealer and he was a little ticked off because a guy came in and cancelled 200 units of beans. I guess the guys agent told him call the farm Corn PP because it dollared out more. I guess for PP they figure the average of the last 4 years crop history regardless what you were intending to plant in the first place. Does that sound right.  Makes me kind of wish I didn't mud that last unit in.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

That's going to be a little sticky for a few. It has means testing. Only works if you have a very recent history of that much corn or % of that much corn or requested it in writing prior to March 15. one of the three.

The dude could get into Aug and have his claim kicked out and just be out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

You are eligible for the total of your planted acres and PP acres to be equal to the most planted acres you had in the last 4 years.  If you have newly added land they have some way of increasing it your eligible acres by a percentage of previous planted acres.  If you run out of corn acres, you will be paid for beans acres if you have beans acres eligible.

I comes down to how ethical a person is and to what their true plans were or if they just want to rape the system.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

This is surely going to stir up a hornets nest, but prevented planting yet the middle of June?  Still plenty of time to plant beans.  When I was row cropping, if I didn't get corn planted, then I planted beans.  I didn't have the luxury of crop insurance to take all the risk out of row cropping for me.  Whining doesn't get very far with me.  Last year was severe ddrought in north central Missouri and there was plenty of corn that was zeroed out.  A fellow I know well disk up 600 acres of corn, yet said he never made as much money raising corn as he did when he had a crop failure.  No combining costs, no storage, no trucking, no nothing.  Except for a $2,100,000 crop insurance check....plus another $276,000 check from FSA for disaster that is.  And that's just one operator.

I raise livestock now and my pastures were dead brown all last summer, even with a rotational grazing system.  Too bad we livestock producers can't get crop insurance like you row crop guys do.  I could have sold all my livestock and made a ton of money for starting a job but never finishing it like row croppers.

Incidently, I also work at our SWCD, so I know what goes on around here.  It's interesting how when one guy farms several different farms and one farm has a zero yield because somehow the grain from that farm got trucked to the other farm, thereby raising the established yield on that farm, which is then used when purchasing crop insurance.

I figure if you row croppers want crop insurance, then you need to pay 100% of the cost yourself rather than ME taking a beating from drought PLUS pay for your losses.  Since crop insurance came along, it's amazing how many new trucks, tractors and combines have popped up on farms.  So stop your whining. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Bikinka, I couldn't agree with you more. My area has about as much livestock production as crop production and I believe the crop producers have an unfair advantage. You might have stirred the hornets nest, but please don't think I'm buzzing around. Don't misunderstand me, I have collected crop insurance claims in the past, but not a single one from PP. Great post. Have a good one.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Your last 3 paragraphs sure sound like whineing on your part too me !  John

0 Kudos