cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: I have thrown in the Towel on Planting

Oh come  on here JCC ! He's was just telling the truth -- no whining -- lol 

JCC do you remember what I use to say over on ag - web about crop insurance   ? ---

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

ECI........ Let me think a minute here.........Ah , Ithink if I am remembering right it had something to do with whimpy cats ????? Am I close ????

I am a confirmed believer in Fed. Crop Insurance for those who farm in disaster land....that would BE HERE !!    John

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

I have no problem with crop insurance, although maybe there should also be some type of livestock or grazing insurance as well.  I guess I should say I have no problem with crop insurance as long as I'm not paying someone else's premiums.

Here's a good story for you.  Several years ago a landowner in my county had an EQIP contract and received cost share assistance to built a hay feeding-manure storage shed, the idea being that feeding the cows under roof would also cause them to poop there.  The manure could then be shoved to the back side of the building until it could be srpead on fields instead of the manure being in an open lot and running into the creek.  This fellow had hay stored in the building when lightning struck the shed, burning it down.  He did not have the building insured, so NRCS cost ahared AGAIN to rebuild it. 

If my shop or livestock barn burned down and I was foolish enough to not have them insured, I'd be S.O.L.  And don't ask me why NRCS ponyed up more money for this guy, who definately isn't hurting for money.  If he was, he certainly couldn't afford his new 24 row planter, combine, Challenger, etc.  If you ask me, the Missouri NRCS state office staff need to grow a little backbone rather than being scared to death someone will call their congressman.  And just so you know this whining isn't only to defend my position, remember that YOUR tax dollars helped pay for this guy's barn BOTH times.  And to add icing to the cake, even though the participant isn't supposed to use the shed for anything other than livestock feeding and manure- hay storage, he stores several large pieces of farm equipment in it as well.  (The paint got scorched on his Challenger, field cultivator and manure spreader before he got it out of the burning building.)  NRCS claims they can't prevent him from doing so because he is using it for temporary storage only and the shed is used as intended throughout the winter months.  I bet some of you crop producers would like to get financial assistance for building a machinery shed.  I know I would.

NRCS at the state and national level has the same problem as so many other governmetal agencies; they are afraid to upset someone who will then call their congressman, which may eventually endanger their funding.  So they instead pay hush money on frivolous tort claims for situations they had absolutely nothing to do with or control of.  And that money comes from all of us taxpayers.  But at least you will feel better knowing your tax money goes to a good cause, like the St Louis housing developer who blamed his leaking subdivision lake on NRCS just because a technician set foot on the property, no surveys, no design work, no nothing other than to say yes you could build a lake here but we can't help you.  Better not get me started on that one......     

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I've never used it but though ACRE covered pasture. Isn't that a type of insurance.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Ding -- Ding  -- Ding !  LMAO JCC -- you have a mind like a steel trap --- lol

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I threw in the towel last evening about 7:30  DONE. Will very likely be some replant of beans as the last 20 acres was done in dark on top, soil.  Think I will consider my first pattern tile on about 35 acres of that field.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

A friend of mine pattern tiled 160 acres but it is as wet as ever. In order for his farm to drain prarie creek has to recede into its banks and until then his water is going nowhere.

Some times things just aren't as simple as one might think.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Nonsense: I've never seen pattern tile not work.. You all need to do it if your not already. V little around me farmed w/o pattern tile. Insurance should deny coverage w/o tile
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

There is tile in that field, about a mile of clay tile put in in the 1930's with the WPA with shovels. It is still working just not close enough and this year has been just a little damp on and off again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

"just a little damp"

Good one.

With that type of understatement, you could move to Minnesota and fit right in.

0 Kudos