cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

I have thrown in the Towel on Planting

We have given up trying to plant any more corn in North-Central Iowa. I have already sent in a PP Insurance claim for over 33% of my corn acres It isn't going to happen to get the corn in. We may just leave these fields completely bare this year. For Northern Iowa it is much worse than the 1993 Flood year and our total corn production will be alot less than even the Drought reduced total corn produced in 2012. This is by far, the absolute worst year I have had since I started buying farmland in 1986. Just my luck, from Drought last year, to way excess rain this year. Alot of my acres that will not grow anything this year. Thank God for PP Crop Insurance, although now I need to figure out how much per acre PP will pay. Anyone else who has PP Crop Insurance, I would be interested in knowing how much your PP Insurance will pay you per acre. Yes, this year is one for the record books for Northern Iowa. But if anyone has figured out how much per acre PP Insurance is going to pay them, let me know. Thanks.

0 Kudos
50 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: I have thrown in the Towel on Planting

Does your custom guy get paid for PP   ? 

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

I'm sure you will have better luck with a PP due to too much rain, but I've been waiting since November 1st for the insurance company to recognize my drought PP claim. It is so dry here in extreme west central KS that our native buffalo grass pastures are diening. I farm 1 miles from the CO border and the following link is from today's Denver Post. It is beyond dire.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_23420681/massive-dust-storms-hit-southeast-colorado-evoking-dirty

0 Kudos
raedmond51
Friend

the basic cov for pp is 60% of your guarantee cov. there are some diff options that could have been chosen to add to your policy. suggest calling agent and getting particulars for your policy.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Kaching! lol

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Evidently, that custom farmer whom you pay those premium fees to has elected to bye pass your acres and plant the acres he deems more important to him. While you must settle for prevented planted benefits he will harvest his 250 bushel corn yield and sell it for $15 per bushel.

Evidently your premium acres just don't have enough tile to qualify for the bestus farm in the universe. Maybe your $15K figure was just a mite exaggerated. Have you considered rice? lol

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Hey, its your lucky day

Since I went all in and bought a 24 row planter, I have three nice 12 row planters for sale and you can show the world that you are not lazy like all those guys that passed on buying that land in the 80's that your father in law staked you to. Man up, buy your own planter, rent a tractor and show the world how its done. Great chance for you to show the rest how to "git er done"!

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Re: Hey, its your lucky day

I don't wish missed acres on anyone, but sometimes karma comes into play. Eventually one's mouth catches up to one's soul. Could it be that the custom guys caught a glimpse as to what has been posted over the last few months? Like Kraft hinted too, I wonder how many acres they have that will be PP, we'll never know the truth, but I bet we get a number.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: I have thrown in the Towel on Planting/raedmond51

aedmond51- Thanks for the information!!!! Had a talk with my insurance guy and he said my per acre PP will be $346.75. Thank God. we never even got nitrogen on the fields this spring. That saved my tail, to the tune of $100 dollars per acre. This year is one for the record books in my part of Northern Iowa.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Re: I have thrown in the Towel on Planting/raedmond51

How can that # be right? You have always got 200+ yields

Your # only figures to about a 104 gross bu guarantee

0 Kudos