cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

IRS Warning on CCC-927

If you're in the farm bill, you have to fill out an IRS Form CCC-927 (or 928) to prove you don't make too much money.  This is a new form to the IRS and they don't understand it.  So, they are sending notices to some farmers (not me, yet).

The advice from the University of Illinois Extension people is, just like with any other government mistake, don't ignore it.  Get some advice from somebody who is knowledgeable, like a CPA or tax lawyer, and don't blow it off.  What?  Have to pay to show the government it is their mistake, not yours?  Sorry if my sarcasm shows.

Here's some more sober commentary on the issue.

http://www.farmgate.illinois.edu/archive/2010/10/have_you_recent_1.html

"Summary:
Some farmers may be receiving notices from the IRS about incomplete filing for their adjusted gross income levels, which determines eligibility for farm program payments. The issue may be a problem with the IRS not recognizing the paperwork being supplied by the USDA. Farmers receiving such a notice should seek help from a knowledgeable advisor, but not ignore the inquiry."

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: IRS Warning on CCC-927

Hey jim another option here is to do what I did on Thursday when I recieved my form and call up the ascs office and tell them to take my name off the roles I 'll farm on my own from here on out!  And with the historically high prices we are now achieving in the grains it boggles my mind why guys who complain about welfare seem all to willing to beppy up to get thiers!

BTW I was very respectful of all the ladies in the office just told them I didn't want any milc checks or diret pmts. any more. JR

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

This sounds like the campaign money election. If you want the money, be ready for lots of string attached. If you don't, it may mean better results and less hassle.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Just fill for a tax free corp status--then you don't have to say who gave it to you!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Had a discussion with our local FSA director.  It appears some of the letters about this issue is because the IRS is being "too technical".  He told us that not listing your name at the top of the 927 exactly as it is on your tax return is kicking out some IRS rejects such as leaving off your middle initial.  Also, if you dated the signature line at the bottom as 6/15/10 instead of the format indicated in the date box as mm/dd/yyyy or  06/15/2010 was tlhrowing out some documents.  Or failure to check the first box on the line indicating the data year to supply to the FSA.  Evidently every aspect of the form had to be completed perfectly for the IRS to follow thru on the info to the USDA.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I get some of this date format idiocy from the FAA when filling out forms for them.  Any deviation means rejection.  What insanity.  If people want to argue about dates, here are a few:

20101026.  Todays date in yyyymmdd format which sorts well in computer programs.  It's the date format I put on my receipts when I copy down the check number, amount and date so I can correlate them.

26102010  Todays date as written by Europeans, South Americans and in fact most of the world,  where it is ddmmyyyy.  Also the date format used by the U.S. military.  Simple and consistent.  The one I still use for writing checks and letters.

0 Kudos