cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: ISU Prof Bad Mouths Crop Insurance

I know that Iowa agrofascists demand that your public servants speak "with one voice" on agriculture.

 

Get rid of him and get somebody who is on the team.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: ISU Prof Bad Mouths Crop Insurance

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/416886/july-24-2012/u-s--agriculture---drough...

 

Colbert: "Iowa farmers face death panels due to crop insurance or Obamacare for corn."

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: ISU Prof Bad Mouths Crop Insurance

See, my point of view is that it is better to pay for your own drinks...which leaves you unbeholden to anyone. Maybe that is foolish, but perhaps that is a more feminine point of view...?

In meeting with my realty/rental agent this morning, she made several statements using the phrase " before Obama." A lot of it involved things she and her husband felt freer to do and spend on, before we started to fund his brand of government, and support his wife's lavish lifestyle. By comparison, Laura Bush is such a class act...and you do not need to be conservative to realize or admit it.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: ISU Prof Bad Mouths Crop Insurance

If you have a problem with that nice lady you have a problem.

 

Seek help.

 

Laura Bush seems like a very nice lady also but she did marry a guy who blew $4-6 trillion on two wars and a massive security state while he was cutting taxes on the wealthy.

 

That is what your gal is funding but I can understand how that really can't fit into her worldview.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Re: ISU Prof Bad Mouths Crop Insurance

It would be hard to argue with the drunks analogy.  Crop insurance levels have resulted in the bidding up of land values, land rents and encourage foolish spending.   The hangover is coming.

 

I would argue that crop insurance is mostly for the benefit of the input suppliers particularily the ag bankers and it has accelerated the decline of the family farm in exchange for the mega farms run by "risk managers"

 

As a established farmer, I would have to wonder how a beginning farmer is going to compete with me.  I got a land base that I own and land I rent but the real tough nut for a young competitor to hurdle is the fact that I have a guarantee.

Highlighted

Re: ISU Prof Bad Mouths Crop Insurance

Here, here diz.

 

Why is dumping huge amounts of money on maybe 1% of Iowans in the interest of the other 99% of Iowans?

 

And that is Iowa, for heavens sake.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: ISU Prof Bad Mouths Crop Insurance

You may want to read up a bit on Michelle's staff salaries, and how bloated her staff truly is...It would be really nice to have that many servants tending to my needs, too. I don't know your definition of " nice", so I will reserve the right to hold my own opinion, using my iwn understanding of thst word.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: ISU Prof Bad Mouths Crop Insurance

I have been there myself, starting from  near the bottom and seeing how the cards are stacked against the entry level farmer, but in my day it was nothing like now. Government should not be making a gravy train for established farmers to undermine the beginners and the best way to accomplish this is to limit and curtail government involvement.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: ISU Prof Bad Mouths Crop Insurance

Pardon me if I sounded harsh.

 

Several years before she became First Lady my wife did an interview with Laura Bush and her take on it was that she was a thoroughly authentic and sincere person.

 

But regardless of whether she did the job that she was asked to do in that capacity well or not I've come to regard her husband as a tragically inept president and that is the best I can do and it goes downhill from there if you want to flesh out further interpretatations.

 

It's the biggest stage that there is and there really isn't a lot of room for sentimentality.

 

As to Mrs. O, there is little room for sentimentality there, either, but I don't see any reason to join in with the identity politics crowd and deride her as a matter of how it gets played- let's face it- the emails and articles from the fringe press are mostly about provoking resentment that the coloreds can attain so much privelege.

 

Truth is, like the Bushes, that they're players in a game that is far bigger than they are.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: ISU Prof Bad Mouths Crop Insurance

Where's that kudo button?

0 Kudos