I am a conservative and hate paying taxes, but many of these points are worth thinking about. It goes back to the argument of what we should/need to cut to balance the budget and whether closing tax loopholes and eliminating subsidies (non farm) should be done.
I may disagree witht the first few items as it doesn't recognize the fact that these programs were self-funded and the problems with them were due to legislators and their greedy hands.
Took this off a facebook page. I copied and pasted this because this is not proprietary material, due to the fact that most of us have already thought of these at one point or another.
Read and enjoy, or not.
If you're a conservative who hates taxes, please do the following.
1. Do not use Medicare.
2. Do not use Social Security
3. Do not become a member of the US military, who are paid with tax dollars.
4. Do not ask the National Guard to help you after a disaster.
5. Do not call 911 when you get hurt.
6. Do not call the police to stop intruders in your home.
7. Do not summon the fire department to save your burning home.
8. Do not drive on any paved road, highway, and interstate or drive on any bridge.
9. Do not use public restrooms.
10. Do not send your kids to public schools.
11. Do not put your trash out for city garbage collectors.
12. Do not live in areas with clean air.
13. Do not drink clean water.
14. Do not visit National Parks.
15. Do not visit public museums, zoos, and monuments.
16. Do not eat or use FDA inspected food and medicines.
17. Do not bring your kids to public playgrounds.
18. Do not walk or run on sidewalks.
19. Do not use public recreational facilities such as basketball and tennis courts.
20. Do not seek shelter facilities or food in soup kitchens when you are homeless and hungry.
21. Do not apply for educational or job training assistance when you lose your job.
22. Do not apply for food stamps when you can’t feed your children.
23. Do not use the judiciary system for any reason.
24. Do not ask for an attorney when you are arrested and do not ask for one to be assigned to you by the court.
25. Do not apply for any Pell Grants.
26. Do not use cures that were discovered by labs using federal dollars.
27. Do not fly on federally regulated airplanes.
28. Do not use any product that can trace its development back to NASA.
29. Do not watch the weather provided by the National Weather Service.
30. Do not listen to severe weather warnings from the National Weather Service.
31. Do not listen to tsunami, hurricane, or earthquake alert systems.
32. Do not apply for federal housing.
33. Do not use the internet, which was developed by the military.
34. Do not swim in clean rivers.
35. Do not allow your child to eat school lunches or breakfasts.
36. Do not ask for FEMA assistance when everything you own gets wiped out by disaster.
37. Do not ask the military to defend your life and home in the event of a foreign invasion.
38. Do not use your cell phone or home telephone.
39. Do not buy firearms that wouldn’t have been developed without the support of the US Government and military. That includes most of them.
40. Do not eat USDA inspected produce and meat.
41. Do not apply for government grants to start your own business.
42. Do not apply to win a government contract.
43. Do not buy any vehicle that has been inspected by government safety agencies.
44. Do not buy any product that is protected from poisons, toxins, etc…by the Consumer Protection Agency.
45. Do not save your money in a bank that is FDIC insured.
46. Do not use Veterans benefits or military health care.
47. Do not use the G.I. Bill to go to college.
48. Do not apply for unemployment benefits.
49. Do not use any electricity from companies regulated by the Department of Energy.
50. Do not live in homes that are built to code.
51. Do not run for public office. Politicians are paid with taxpayer dollars.
52. Do not ask for help from the FBI, S.W.A.T, the bomb squad, Homeland Security, State troopers, etc…
53. Do not apply for any government job whatsoever as all state and federal employees are paid with tax dollars.
54. Do not use public libraries.
55. Do not use the US Postal Service.
56. Do not visit the National Archives.
57. Do not visit Presidential Libraries.
58. Do not use airports that are secured by the federal government.
59. Do not apply for loans from any bank that is FDIC insured.
60. Do not ask the government to help you clean up after a tornado.
61. Do not ask the Department of Agriculture to provide a subsidy to help you run your farm.
62. Do not take walks in National Forests.
63. Do not ask for taxpayer dollars for your oil company.
64. Do not ask the federal government to bail your company out during recessions.
65. Do not seek medical care from places that use federal dollars.
66. Do not use Medicaid.
67. Do not use WIC.
68. Do not use electricity generated by Hoover Dam.
69. Do not use electricity or any service provided by the Tennessee Valley Authority.
70. Do not ask the Army Corps of Engineers to rebuild levees when they break.
71. Do not let the Coast Guard save you from drowning when your boat capsizes at sea.
72. Do not ask the government to help evacuate you when all hell breaks loose in the country you are in.
73. Do not visit historic landmarks.
74. Do not visit fisheries.
75. Do not expect to see animals that are federally protected because of the Endangered Species List.
76. Do not expect plows to clear roads of snow and ice so your kids can go to school and so you can get to work.
77. Do not hunt or camp on federal land.
78. Do not work anywhere that has a safe workplace because of government regulations.
79. Do not use public transportation.
80. Do not drink water from public water fountains.
81. Do not whine when someone copies your work and sells it as their own. Government enforces copyright laws.
82. Do not expect to own your home, car, or boat. Government organizes and keeps all titles.
83. Do not expect convicted felons to remain off the streets.
84. Do not eat in restaurants that are regulated by food quality and safety standards.
85. Do not seek help from the US Embassy if you need assistance in a foreign nation.
86. Do not apply for a passport to travel outside of the United States.
87. Do not apply for a patent when you invent something.
88. Do not adopt a child through your local, state, or federal governments.
89.Do not use elevators that have been inspected by federal or state safety regulators.
90. Do not use any resource that was discovered by the USGS.
91. Do not ask for energy assistance from the government.
92. Do not move to any other developed nation, because the taxes are much higher.
93. Do not go to a beach that is kept clean by the state.
94. Do not use money printed by the US Treasury.
95. Do not complain when millions more illegal immigrants cross the border because there are no more border patrol agents.
96. Do not attend a state university.
97. Do not see any doctor that is licensed through the state.
98. Do not use any water from municipal water systems.
99. Do not complain when diseases and viruses, that were once fought around the globe by the US government and CDC, reach your house.
100. Do not work for any company that is required to pay its workers a livable wage, provide them sick days, vacation days, and benefits.
101. Do not expect to be able to vote on election days. Government provides voting booths, election day officials, and voting machines which are paid for with taxes.
102. Do not ride trains. The railroad was built with government financial assistance.
The fact is, we pay for the lifestyle we expect. Without taxes, our lifestyles would be totally different and much harder. America would be a third world country. The less we pay, the less we get in return. Americans pay less taxes today since 1958 and is ranked 32nd out of 34 of the top tax paying countries. Chile and Mexico are 33rd and 34th. The Republicans are lying when they say that we pay the highest taxes in the world and are only attacking taxes to reward corporations and the wealthy and to weaken our infrastructure and way of life. So next time you object to paying taxes or fight to abolish taxes for corporations and the wealthy, keep this quote in mind…
“I like to pay taxes. With them, I buy civilization.” ~Oliver Wendell Holmes
Solved! Go to Solution.
Ditto for the difference between CITIZENSHIP and ETHNICITY. Not the same thing at all, but you don't get that distinction, either.
Have a nice day....
appauling waste and abuse negates your argument. our gov't sucks. elect a good person to congress. and just hope greed and graft contageon doesn't spread.
I'm sure glad there are so many people that enjoy paying taxes.
Frankly, speaking for some of us red-neck, god fearing, conservatives, I wouldn't mind paying taxes if it all went to infrastructure and most of the things on your list below. What chaps me is all the wasteful spending on things we don't need. How is it that you can weigh 400 pounds and need food stamps? Why do we pay single moms to have more kids? Why don't we have programs like CCC for people that don't have jobs? Why don't we pay them to do something rather than pay them to do nothing?
Anyway, I pay way more taxes than the average American so I'm going to use all the services I pay for if I need them and not feel one bit guilty.
The biggest item that really irritates me is having a gov't that keeps spending more than it takes in. I understand in times of war or something unexpected that expenses will exceed revenues just like on a farm when you have poor crops and low prices. But to just keep printing/borrowing money is criminal. Both parties have blood on their hands on this issue.
When you refer to youself as aGod-fearing conservative, is the inference that non- conservatives are not or can not be God-fearing?
You are free to fear God if you wish....
I would digress for a moment, to say that not all of the listed functions are funded by federal tax dollars...for example, our VFD is run on funds directly taken at the local level, as an addendum to the ad valorem property tax bill, at a rate of rive cents per hundred dollars of assessed value.
Also, there is a sort of "insured" contract status with unemployment, Medicare and Social Security. Workers pay taxes into those systems, with an express assurance that the benefits will support the worker in times of need: during economic downturns and old age or disability. These services certainly aren't total "gimmes".
There was a movement to support more government services with user fees some years back. Every camping space in a park comes with such a fee attached to it. License fees and purchased stamps for game harvest are also ways that users pay for their play.
Overall, one may well argue that none of these systems bears its own total weight. I would not dispute that fact; however, quite a bit of the funding of NASA and other programs that had no direct defense implications to the general public, were in fact covert funding of black ops.
Virtually unlimited monies were granted to agencies that funneled them into programs such as the U 2 spy planes developed and
deployed after WW II. Classification of documents from that era tell us what happened 50-60 years ago...one can only speculate as to the developments in that arena today.
A lot of the rest of that list is stuff that people expect the government to do that they ought to do for themselves. You do not need FEMA if you pay routine insurance premiums to cover your home and business assets against disaster. Parents should plan to feed their own kids, pay for their education, and day care, if needed. We are buying the tires for people's cars here in our county now,on some program's tab....**bleep**! Just how nice can we all afford to be?
I have been thinking all week long that we needed to cost 538, plus two, people their jobs in 2012, if they cannot figure out ways to put the 14 million unemployed in the rest of the country back to work well before then.
Well, if you say the government sucks, remember you, along with all the other voters of this nation elected the legislators that made it all possible. It's called "democracy". In essence, we all "suck".
I might agree with some of your points, that state and local entities fund local operations of fire protection, etc.. However, as a member of a fire protection board, I know that many fire departments and law enforcement entities receive public grants for many hard assets, from Uncle Sam. In our case, our application for grants were denied thanks to the fact that we had managed our funds too well and had too much reserves. It didn't matter that the proposal for the purchase of a new fire truck would have drained us dry.
Yes, SS and medicare are self funded, that's my point of disagreement with the list. Again, however, I would conted that considering the cost of health care, I suspect most seniors that are taking benefits have received far more in benefits than they have ever paid in, even if we allow for inflation and even if congress never dipped its greedy fingers in the pot.
I don't have a problem with what you listed, but on the other hand:
If you think the government should pay for alcohol counseling for hookers in China - pay more taxes
If you like bridges to nowhere - pay more taxes
If you like to pay government lawyers $200,000+ to surf porn instead of overseeing Wall Street, the banks, and S&Ls before the crash - pay more taxes
If you think the poor deserve 'free' cell phones, pay more taxes
If you want a $3.5 million turtle crossing, that turtles don't actually use - pay more taxes
If you think the government should pay for sex change operations for the 'poor' - pay more taxes.
If you think the government should pay for ketchup viscosity testing (to save a Millionair Heinz hieress some money just because she is married to a Senator) pay more taxes
If you think the 'big dig' was a bargain - pay more taxes
I can go on and on as long as you did.
What we need is the government to start setting priorities, instead of just throwing money at anything and everything.