cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
k-289
Senior Advisor

Re: If you won $10,000,000

One thing worth considering is unless it was an inheritance you might not be able to reside where you are currently located---so as this phrase passed down for generations probably apply and I have mentioned several times to our family---"careful what you wish for''---t have n't any big ticket items I really need so will leave it at that and will add some to the Salvation Army kettles this season to help prepare some "" stone soup""--- 

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

It is a theme that resonates through all the great religions of the world, Smokey. 

I am really feeling the Wabi-sabi philosophy of the Japanese right about now.  Hadn't understood until the last year or so that this is the antithesis of the OCD pursuit of perfection that has hounded me for most of my life.

Can't explain that demon, except to say it is a drive to have something done, perfectly, once and for all.  A very unbalanced, and - of course - inpossible goal. 

Wabi-sabi stands on three points - the minimum reguired for stability if you are a stool - the imperfection of things, the impermanence of things, and the fact that all things are incomplete in some way.  I am embracing the sense that no matter what I do, my work won't be perfect, is never truly done, and will require doing again - if not by me, by someone. 

Add to the above,. the veneration of the wear and tear associated with age, in both people and possessions - and you get a greater appreciation for that which survives over time.  .You do nor need a lot of new, shiny things when your eye learns to appreciate and actually prefer naturally worn ones. 

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

my dad's generation is starting to retire here and there, and I have noticed one thing.  The families that think 'money money money' are the ones where the kids aren't around, who seem to be going through the most divorces, and such.  I can think of one case, where the partiarch of a HUGE ranch died, and left the estate t be divided equally between the kids (and each kid had plenty to live off of forever) but some kids sued the others for more of the estate, because the guy had two wives, and the steps on one side thought they should get more than the steps from the other mother.

Ranch right across the road from our piddly little acerage, another big ranch.  The parents wanted 'more more' and while they now have it, their 3 sons all live in different States, and only come 'home' for Christmas.  I'm friends with 2 of them, and the 3 kids agree, when mom& pop die, they'll sell off some acres to pay the last little bit of debt, rent the rest out, and live off the money. 

On the other hand, it seems the families that are willing to shut the tractor off an hour or two early, and go watch Junior's playoff game, are the ones where the kids either want to take over the farm, or want to live close by, to be around 'family'.

Maybe, its just what I see locally, but it seems like I've seen enough of it, for it to be at least some sort of trend.

0 Kudos
Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

@Kay/NC wrote:
It is funny that you would keep hauling wood...we quit that many years ago, then started back, mostly for comfort, three years ago this November. Seems the more we save and pay off, the less we feel we need, and the more we return to the stuff we did to make it when we were a young married couple. It really does get down to very basic comforts and small luxuries, doesn't it?

Yes lots of energy in them there woods so no need to buy it from under the ground.

Heck I even enjoy working in the woodlot.

Yes all the 'things' in the world will not make you happy or 'comfortable' if you are not 'comfortable' in your own mind.

0 Kudos
Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

@Nebrfarmr wrote:

my dad's generation is starting to retire here and there, and I have noticed one thing.  The families that think 'money money money' are the ones where the kids aren't around, who seem to be going through the most divorces, and such.  I can think of one case, where the partiarch of a HUGE ranch died, and left the estate t be divided equally between the kids (and each kid had plenty to live off of forever) but some kids sued the others for more of the estate, because the guy had two wives, and the steps on one side thought they should get more than the steps from the other mother.

Ranch right across the road from our piddly little acerage, another big ranch.  The parents wanted 'more more' and while they now have it, their 3 sons all live in different States, and only come 'home' for Christmas.  I'm friends with 2 of them, and the 3 kids agree, when mom& pop die, they'll sell off some acres to pay the last little bit of debt, rent the rest out, and live off the money. 

On the other hand, it seems the families that are willing to shut the tractor off an hour or two early, and go watch Junior's playoff game, are the ones where the kids either want to take over the farm, or want to live close by, to be around 'family'.

Maybe, its just what I see locally, but it seems like I've seen enough of it, for it to be at least some sort of trend.

You are seeing correctly from my point of view.

We also have seen many through the years who had to have it all fail to keep a marriage together or a family together.

There is much to be said for working hard enough and smart enough to provide enough but the trick is to know when to back off and enjoy the real pleasures in life like family.

0 Kudos
old man
Senior Contributor

My brother had a saying, " It takes four generations from rags to riches to rags again"

His rational was that grandpa starts a business, father makes the business very successful, son keeps it going, but lives off the business and grandson is so spoiled that he can't do anything . Then the cycle has to start over again"

This is not much different than the old Chinese Proverb "Wealth never lasts more than three generations"

@Kay/NC wrote:

It is a theme that resonates through all the great religions of the world, Smokey. 

I am really feeling the Wabi-sabi philosophy of the Japanese right about now.  Hadn't understood until the last year or so that this is the antithesis of the OCD pursuit of perfection that has hounded me for most of my life.

Can't explain that demon, except to say it is a drive to have something done, perfectly, once and for all.  A very unbalanced, and - of course - inpossible goal. 

Wabi-sabi stands on three points - the minimum reguired for stability if you are a stool - the imperfection of things, the impermanence of things, and the fact that all things are incomplete in some way.  I am embracing the sense that no matter what I do, my work won't be perfect, is never truly done, and will require doing again - if not by me, by someone. 

Add to the above,. the veneration of the wear and tear associated with age, in both people and possessions - and you get a greater appreciation for that which survives over time.  .You do nor need a lot of new, shiny things when your eye learns to appreciate and actually prefer naturally worn ones. 

0 Kudos
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Re: directed to all of you

Perhaps the real question is, "how are you living your lives and managing your financial matters now?"

Would another 9 million make you more responsible or less? Or would your wants and needs increase or decrease based on the amount of money you have?

I would say that old habits are hard to break. If you spend beyond your means now, that probably won't change with a windfall. Plus those that have lived a life of frugality will probably not convert to a life of reckless spending.. Like the guy that orders chicken instead of lobster. He can well afford the lobster but doesn't have the appetite for unneccessary spending. When they price their lobster a "market price", I figure they are ashamed of the price so I should be ashamed to eat it. Ha!

Wealth accumulation is an objective for many people but most do not want to sacrifice to acheive it. In that way farmers do have an advantage in that they incur financial responsibilities and need to have the discipline to meet those obligations. Yep, we pay for the machineryloans or the mortgage loans because we have to before we can engage in frivilous spending with the excess. No corvette for me because the mortgage is due.

Another benefit is that age improves your comfort level in what you have instead of the constant desire for what you don't really need.

Contentment is the real answer. Learning to be content without all of the fabulous things the life offers. Much of it is unworthy of your dollar.

0 Kudos
idalivered
Advisor

good call tom

0 Kudos
nodeerehere
Senior Reader

If I were to win $10,000,000 I'd buy up a few acres here and there along with the farm my family has been on for the last 50yrs not to mention some nice used equipment buying new is foulish. I'd go nuts if I were to quit working.

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Re: directed to all of you

There is a lot of truth in your post. 

I remember Warren Buffet, in an interview once, when asked about wealth, and why some have it and some dont, and he said something to the effect that if you gave everybody in this country $1 million, in 10 years, the majority of people with money problems, would be the same people with money problems now.  In fact, I think he commented that for some, by the end of the day, they would be squandering it, and the ones without money problems now, probably wouldn't live as lavishly as you think.

0 Kudos