cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

In Cold Blood

Truman Capote wrote a best selling true crime novel of that name, and won some awards, with his book depicting the crime spree of two never do well felons that kill a farm family, I believe in Kansas, for the cash they think is kept in a safe on the farm. Some inmate that was incarcerated with one of the two had divulged the name of the family, that they were wealthy, and kept a large sum of cash in their possession...perhaps the man had paid cash for some work for an itinerant or some other item.

After the two got out of prison, they went to the farm at night, terrorized the family and children, including a teenaged daughter, and tried to get the farmer to give them cash. He protested that he didn't have any, and offered them a large check and his word that he would make it good for them if they let his family live. The killers ended up shooting them all with shotgun blasts.

Now, with moderate sized farms having net worths of $10 million and up, people really need to be vigilant of who knows much about them, and to have home protection. I cannot for the life of me believe people that post without being anonymous. Just a word to the wise, here. I would never give out my identity or much financial information in any public forum. And just for the record, I do own guns...quite a few of them, and am well versed in how to use them. So is the rest of my family.

Don't flaunt your wealth, don't use large sums of cash, and protect your family by keeping details to yourself. The world is not Mayberry RFD, and the country is not run by Sheriff Andy Taylor. More like that mayor from DC that snorted all the cocaine. THat is the America we now live in.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: In Cold Blood

Hey Red, I think that`s why us Iowegians carry AK-47`s in our pickups, oh we say it`s for "shooting beavers in the drainage ditches", but other things can be shot too  😉

There was a guy on another site that bragged that he had some precious metals to sell when the price was really high and was wondering about selling.  Well someone registered that day and offered to "ride shotgun with him on his adventure, because that sort of thing was right up his alley" others warned the precious metals poster about that being fishy.  And that`s right, he would`ve ended up in a ravine somewhere in South Dakota, had he taken that offer up.

Even Michelle Obama admitted that if she lived on a farm, she`d feel more safe if she had a gun, but that was back when they were campaigning.  Now they`d rather just herd us into the cities than let us keep our guns.

0 Kudos
farmerguy89
Advisor

Lol yep. Ak47s are just your typical hunting rifles... They must do much hunting in the military
0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Around here barging about your guns is the biggest invite to criminals. They just wait till your gone then steel your guns. Well maybe bragging about pain killers is worse that guns.
0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Your precautionary statements are well put. I would add that we need to be careful about locator functions on social media, which often tell precisely where we are when we post. Decline them.

Oo many people post on their Facebook status stuff like " headed off on vacation". Open invitation to burglary.

As for net worth of land, that is, as mentioned, less attractive to criminal types than easily convert-able items like guns and jewelry. I have precious little precious metal, and the guns are all in safes. Harder to just walk out, and there are some nasty dogs for you run the gantlet, should you try to walk in. A good guard dog is worth its weight in gold.

I have done a martial art practice for going on eight years now...and that is not a bad thing for a person to consider. You cannot take weapons everywhere. I would especially recommend that for your female family members, mostly because it makes you aware of risks and avoiding them.

At the time, the " cold blooded" killings in that book and movie were startling anomalies. Now, random violence seems to be much more commonplace.

I asked my WIA friends a couple of weeks ago, when there was a high- ranking gang- banger loose near our home in rural NC, how many knew where the house keys were, much less used them. We had experienced a coded lock failure, and the keys have been stashed " somewhere", so it was problem. Not one said they could readily secure their home.

Country houses are usually unlocked, have guns. And are remotely located...all attractive attributes. Many are empty much of the day. If there isn't someone around, they are sitting ducks...one family we know has been robbed repeatedly, when the robbers see them leave for the day. Being unpredictable, having people going about the place at irregular intervals, etc., all helps, to a certain degree.

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Yeah your correct about the vacation thing. A few years back my parents were so proud they had tickets to a big football game, my brother was coming to the game and the next day they were taking my kids on a train ride. I had my own tickets to the game which anybody that knows us knew i would be around their house that day. Why in the world the we're so exited about things we do all the time I do t know. But they talked about it for weeks before. While they were gone their garage was broken into and about $3500 worth of tools were stolen.
0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

I make it a rule to only talk anout a trip's specifics SFYER we have taken it. Living betwen two homes, as we do now, makes for some interesting patterns of speaking to people. Wen I say we are " home" , it can be in either house.
0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Not sure anything makes much difference.

Our house was less than 65 miles from the Clutters and for a few days our doors were locked for the only time in decades.  My dad thought the movie would help rural crime because it pointed out that most families do not deal in cash and that crimes in rural Ks have consequences. -------- But rural crime still happens.

He made the same false assumption that I do--------------- Criminals are smart and try to figure things out.

Most criminals have families, neighbors, and friends to rob first.  or they just need quick drug money.  Do we really think Perry Smith would have spent days on facebook scouting the farmer.  He acted on a false rumor spread by a liar looking for acceptance. He didn't need a detailed layout or their travel plans.  How do you stop that?

Crime has and always will be with us.

My dad did have one bit of advice which gave me comfort for years.  We lived in a remote location.  "Leave every key in the vehicles and the gas tank available.  If they come out this far and need it, we don't want them coming in to ask for the keys."

Didn't make us safer, but was good psychology for a young boy.  I slept better.

0 Kudos