cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Re: Iowa Ag-Gag Law Overruled

I don`t know anything about milking cows and selling the milk.  But it seems I`ve heard the average dairy farm needs $18 milk to buy new pitchforks and such. They were talking on the radio probably WNAX that these huge dairies have their costs down to $13 milk.   I suppose that is robot milkers and labor costs under control ie, hire cheap as you can.

See the deal is, if you`re a big guy, 2,000 cows or whatever, you still need close to $18 long term to keep going.  If you`re big but not big enough, you`re probably in the same boat as the south Minnesota 60 cow family farm. Thing is, the real Bigshot with the 30,000 cows or whatever cost of production $13 milk, they probably have a Kemps or Blue Bunny contract and get $20 for their milk.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

The  key  item  in  the  brochure  -  COURT   ORDERED -  hmmmm    -    -    - 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I am not a dairy expert or even involved.  Don't even sell them anything....

But Isn't the Dairy issue somewhat a function of government policy..... ??

Better put,  Isnt it a poster child of too much government interference---"help"   ??

I am watching a dairy down here double in size while others are going out and prices are bad.

The money behind it is big enough to take a long term gamble.  But this is irrational growth??

When milk is the cheapest liquid in the grocery ...... even compared to bottled water....

Seems like the "court" is having to do what the milk market should be taking care of.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Sw  -  good  points  -  although  lots  of  TONE   still  remains  -  BIGGER   being  the  Only  Better  -  maybe  ?

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I think that is usda's (and congress's) desire.  They give small farmers lip service, but they write the rules and regulations to keep the grocery stores full.

Best example is epa and environmental regs.  only the multi nationals can afford to meet them or fight them.

I think it is a desire of the global know it all's  to force ag into the multinational format.  Health care was similar.....lip service to the underprivileged but laws that give the green flag to the largest international drug and medical suppliers.... international chains have the medicare drug bargains and the small locals are shunned by congress.

Congress is not smart enough to do this all intentionally........ but that is what we have thanks to the folks who won't read the legislation they pass.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Reminds  me  of  Ole  &  Sven ,  trading  hay  ,  $50  in  $50  out  -  just  needed  a  BIGGER  trailer  -   -   -

And  a  couple  exemptions  to  accommodate  the  oversize regs . -  -  -  

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

In congress it has been $50 in and 25$ out ---- making the world a better place at US expense.... look at what we accomplished and everybody wants to trade with us so we must be wonderful.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Good point there at the end.

Packers and Stockyatds Act was passed in 1921.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Bruce  -  Yes  ,  although  the  elders  in  DC  from  the  midwestern  states  claim  the  laws  were  outdated , even  though  their  extended  gov. stays  weren't  -    -    - 

0 Kudos