cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
k-289
Senior Advisor

Re: Iowa View: State has turned into a 'toilet' for industrial ag

SW  - guess I find it interesting if an outfit like Smithfield was number one  - why did the leader Mr Pope slide out the back door ?   

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Do you mean sell the company?   Or did he trip and fall?

production concentration has been going on for 40 years or more.

In cattle and grains it got accellorated in the last 5 years. 

Every time we try to slow it or change it with regulation or legislation it has the opposite effect.

Just deal with the article--------

Are the waters of Iowa poluted??

Is more ground being farmed by renters than 30 years ago??

Is the air in Iowa polluted?  Looked good to me.  smelled nice ------------- 

Do you really believe that agriculture makes up only 6% of the economic activity in Iowa??

Do you enjoy an amateur political activist claiming to love the state he hates?

we have all but swept the landscape clean of the Iowa your parents knew, sacrificing the heritage that once truly set Iowa apart. The result stinks — figuratively and literally.  ---

-------Give me a break  I didnt smell much of a problem in Iowa,  but I can smell this article from way down here.

I guess I just missed that part of the state.  And Kraft said he could still find the farm he owns.  Treefarmr, seems to find his way back to the farm his family still owns.  Treefarmr better take some conservation courses though ------- Absentee owners don't care about care of the land according to this moron.

This guy will call his mother a **bleep** to sensationalize a story.

Jim you'll never change this guys opinion.  Both his past and his present have been repainted.

k-289
Senior Advisor

SW  - No offence  - I'm really trying to figure out which view here is doing the most whining ?     As far as consolidation one might wonder why would some one cash out  instead staying the course of operating the  "largest " pork group in the country and now could be faced with dealing with all of those capital gains taxes - just curious  ? 

0 Kudos
smokeyjay
Advisor

Kay, non US citizens only hold 8 percent of our debt. Outside control is a well repeated myth.
0 Kudos
bruce MN
Advisor

Read what she said again.  She is living the transition.

And FWIW 8% otherwise secured is actually quite a bit.when such a high percentage of the 92% is tied up in domestic insatruments of financialization.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

None taken K-289,

There are a couple of assumptions --- no three---- that I won't make, because I don't know .

1.  "largest" prok group in the country----------- does not translate to me as financially successful.  Growth may have more to do with survival than profit.

2.  Staying the course  equates to profitability.  Does the US seem like a business friendly location for the next 50 years?  To recruit employees or even sell your product into.  Liability alone would make us consider a good offer if I were packaging meat.

3.  Selling out creates taxable gains ---------Not an assumption I would make--- I need to study it more, but I think this was a stock sale and each share owner will deal with that issue, not the company, and the tax issue will depend on what the purchase price of the stock was.  It may be 4 times the present value and yet less than purchase price.

Sorry to go off on the article  I am just tired of the srhetoric and inuendos -------- When an author needs to glorify the past and demonize the present to make a point ------- he usually has to ignore  some truth.  And often it is to condemn change.  I don't think we have a choice, change happens, we either get on board or get off.  Find our place in the new world or check out.

A couple of thoughts

All business goes through ups and downs.  One of the advantages to size I have seen in farming is better financial evaluation.  A farmer who understands and evaluates his position with good accounting, understands his position many months before one who doesn't.  That is an "big" advantage. 

Jeff ------------------- inuendos is not a curse word ------ Don't bleep it.  Correct the spelling if you will but I did not intend for anyone to stuff it inuendo.    Please don't send me to the Willy Nelson Concert in the sky.

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

It bothers me that nearly every comment repeats the line of the columnist.

0 Kudos
smokeyjay
Advisor

I read it many times. My comment is appropriate. 92 percent of our national debt is owned by Americans. If we think someone holding a minority stake as low as 8%, we have bigger problems in our mental ability and intelligence.
0 Kudos
smokeyjay
Advisor

Even limiting that debt problem to only Smithfield cannot change their ability to neutralize the EPA. Some people can only hope for that to happen.
0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

SW  -  I would assume that the board would have the  "  stock  option  " card to play which seems to work well for retiring managment ---

0 Kudos