cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: Iowa is second-biggest farm subsidy recipient-It doesn't stop!!!!!!!/BADEERE/Bean Yields

Say BaDeere, I too am disappointed with my bean yields and why I go alot of corn on corn. Corn yields and the ROI Ratio/Profit per acre is much better for me to grow corn. Soybean yields just have not made advances yield-wise like my corn has over the last 10 years. I just think that North-Central Iowa is much more suited to growing 220+bu corn, rather than beans.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Re: Iowa is second-biggest farm subsidy recipient-It doesn't stop!!!!!!!/BADEERE/Bean Yields

Have you checked your PH and calcium to Magnesium ratios?  Beans don`t like high PH and ca, mag out of whack.  Elwyn Taylor once told me that in NCIA we have had too hot and too dry Augusts for top bean yields.  And alot of yrs, like the way this is looking the beans will have "wet feet" before Mother Nature turns off the spricket.  Then they say spraying Roundup locks up the manganese, plus we have all kinds of diseases that we never used to have.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Re: You must be black

Go to the ewg site and check out how much you have received from the FSA since 1995. And then consider how many people those dollars would have fed and for how long. I think government has been quite generous to white farmers and many of them with millions in assets.

Why is it the somebody elses food stamps is a shameful event while hundreds of thousands to farmer millionaires is just hunky dory!

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

You`re short sighted, Don.

I have kept Blacks and everyone in affordable, safe food my entire 30 year farming career.  The paultry sum the taxpayers(me being one) has sent to me since 1995, only kept my less efficient competitors in business. If there had never been a farm program and a 1980s write-off of farm debt, I would`ve recieved a much higher price for grain at the market place and be obscenely rich today, maybe even as rich as RSW and Faust Smiley Happy

Have you heard of Scottie Pippen? http://www.cantstopthebleeding.com/scottie-pippen-disinvited-from-farm-aid-07 I think he`s Black, he got more in subsidies than I did.   Today Scottie Pippen is broke http://www.complex.com/sports/2012/04/money-to-blow-history-of-nba-players-broke/scottie-pippen  ....I`m not, all that "taxpayer money"  (mine included)  he went broke and I`ve never had it better....hmmm where did I and the rest of the taxpayers get a better return on our investment, me or Pippen?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: You`re short sighted, Don.

How did the write off of farm debt make your grain prices lower? Those acres would still produce whether you farm them or somebody else did. That is simply nonsense as everyone knows or should know.

Prime Iowa crop land will produce huge crops and there are more than enough capable farmers to keep those acres in production. I our community I could throw a rock into a crowd and accidently strike a top notch farmer. That s how plentiful they are and whether farmer A goes broke it doesn't matter because farmer B_C_D_E_F_G will produce a great crop.

The farm depression of the 80's should have made you gloriously rich. Such an opportubnity to buy land at a huge discount. Instead of whining about some other chap getting a write off, you ought to have rejoiced that you didn't need one and your finances were such that you could take advantage of that glorious opportunity.

That is similar to griping about your neighbor  inheriting a farm. Simply an unfair advantage except when you are the beneficiary. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Simple, if there`s less bidders on a piece of property and the greedy clowns would`ve been forced to sell, I could`ve bought more land, cheaper....economics 101.

What obligation did US "us" taxpayers have to write off greedy farmer`s debts?  What good did it do us?

How many meals would a $700,000 farm debt write-off in 1986 buy for poor Black kids?   Many of those taxpayer farm debt write-offs resulted in the greedy farmer to continue and collect well in excess of $1million in subsidies between 1995 and 2012...how many poor kids would that feed?  what`s the maximum number of entities that can collect the limit of farm subsidies?  That number escapes me.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

$3000 + land sold for $1000 minus and you wanted to buy itfor less. How much less would have spurred you to action/ You know that a sell off of 66% or more still requires a man to have the  cajones to risk that $1K per acre because land prices might go to half of that. None the less it would cash flow at a thousand and you shoulda been jumping in with both feet. I only had 25 grand in cash for a down stroke and only bought 120 acres at that time.

How many debts did you write off during that period. I never wrote off one nor did you. I  don't know of any that got a government write off. Who were these people and how did that transaction work?

Is that worse than you writing off a $200K combine in one year.

Explain those transactions to me so that I know exactly how someone would get such a gift from uncle sam.

PS was that Reagan or Bush I that was giving away all that money to bankrupt farmers?

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

It was Regan, and you better add another 150K-200K for that new combine write off.  LOL

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Oh baloney Don, all of us that pay taxes have had a portion of that money that went to the farm debt write-off.  All of us that have borrowed agricultutral loans have payed MORE interest because the part of the bad farm debt that banks had to eat got payed for by us future borrowers.   If farm debt hadn`t been written-off, farmland would`ve stayed at a more reasonable price longer instead of the "V bottom" that it had, deadbeats got their debt wrote off at one desk and didn`t even leave the bank, they went into the loan officer to buy a new farm now that they magically became solvent at the stroke of a pen.

Hardware stores, grocery stores, feed stores in small towns that went broke in the 80`s didn`t get their debt wrote off, I don`t see why a greedy farmer should`ve been the special ones bailed out of their piss poor, greed induced decisions.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

The best way to eliminate this problem, stay on the top side of your bottom line!!!  Farms can be run without any debt load at all, land or machinery.  Just the facts.

0 Kudos