cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Re: Iowa is second-biggest farm subsidy recipient-It doesn't stop!!!!!!!

Hardnox - Yeah!  I was just stirring the pot here!  I have not taken any program money for about four years, but I have to confess, I have received indemnity payments on some farms here in kamakazie farming country and a few disaster payments.  

I would not mind living in a non government payment of any kind, in farming, I think if the government stopped paying out CRP payments, Federal Crop Premiums, Disaster payments, and Conservation payments we might be looking at an agriculture again that would entry by those who were not living off the subsidies of Uncle Sam.

But I really doubt that all the non farmer CRP receipients and the tree huggers would be willing to sacrifice a government allocation for their pork projects.  But it might be a much different world than the one we now live in.  Adios Amigo. John

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Just being nosey, but RSW have you ever had a crop insurance claim?   See, I haven`t had one that even amounted to getting my premium back.  Here`s the way I see it, crop insurance and farm subsidies are a boon for the consumer.  It entices fringe acres to be planted that the USDA promptly counts, driving grain prices down.  Kind of like my cousin that married a gal whose father owned an excavating business, her dad`s wedding "gift" was to dig a basement (worth $10,000, costing him only $300 in diesel fuel but whatever) my cousin was suposed to put his daughter up a $300,000 house because of that "gift" and that`s what farm subsidies are, taking risk out of planting the maximum number of acres to insure cheap food.  I believe that so strongly that I`m willing to say fine do away with subsides..let`s see them find "97 million corn acres" then, I don`t need insurance and I`ll save that premium payment every year and less acres will be planted to corn giving me better prices.  The fringe acres can stay in pasture or wheat/fallow or whatever, if endusers want those acres they`ll have to "bid" for them.

But farm subsidies are no way anything like food stamps.  With farm subsidies to be eligible you need to put your land, capital, sweat and management on the line to qualify.   With food stamps the only qualification is that you have a low income, up until 5 years ago, most of us farmers had incomes low enough for food stamps  the only thing stopping us was pride.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

for Newjudge- as you probably know, out of the $345,000 I have recieved in subsidies the last 3 years, $250,000 of that is the pass-though Crop Insurance Subsidy. In Iowa, it works out to a rough $48/acre subsidy every year for each Iowa farmer. And the Direct Subsidy is only $20/acre for each Iowa farmer. So a total of only $68/acre. And if you have, say $1,200/acre in corn sales, that $68/acre in total subsidies is only 5% of your total corn sales per acre. If you look at it this way, a total subsidy isn't much of your total gross revenue per acre. I am sure you probably realize this already, but a 5% subsidy isn't much.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: Iowa is second-biggest farm subsidy recipient-It doesn't stop!!!!!!!/BADEERE

BaDeere- you make some excellent points on your post and I agree with you 100% on the difference between Food Stamps and the Crop subsidies. But as you know, trying to explain the difference to NON-FARMERS/CITY PEOPLE is very, very hard and they lack the farming knowledge to fully understand these very Clear-Cut differences. Anyway, I think the last time I filed a crop insurance claim was 2008 I believe. 3 of my farms had a complete and total Hail Wipe-out. Golfball size hail just beat the hell out of these 3 farms and I mean just total 100% complete loss. It was funny, another 8 of my farms just 2 miles away suffered 0% loss, the hail didn't even touch those farms at all. I believe the Insurance Claim was for around $385,000 if I remeber right. The insurance company handled it very nice and quickly, and I was happy about the dollar amount they gave me on this loss. Also I have had other insurance claims over the years too, but just a few farms of mine each time and it was mainly soybeans, again from hail, plus they only were like a 25% loss. In fact, one farm they said was a 33% loss, but when we combined the beans they still got over 60 bushels per acre. Try and figure that one out!!!!!! LOL

Oh, and some Green Snap damage 1-2 years too, and they paid for the Green Snap damage too. Yes, hail and Green Snap have always been most of my yield damage. You have to pay extra for Green Snap, but I always pay the extra for Green Snap insurance. Yes, hail and Green Snap are both something we need in Iowa. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Re: Iowa is second-biggest farm subsidy recipient-It doesn't stop!!!!!!!/BADEERE

You know what our problem is?  There isn`t enough "minorities" in farming, the government isn`t about to throw money to old white guys.  So, from now (and this is everyone now) when you fill out a census and say your occupation is "farmer" also say that you are a Black, Female, Lesbian and watch the money come flying into the farm bill Smiley Very Happy

But yeah, I can remember the hail storm that went through in that Waverly area about 3 years ago.  our crop insurance man never lets us forget it, he shows slides taken from a field man "here`s a field in the morning...200+ bushel, right?" ...then click to the next slide showing a field you can`t recognize as a corn field "This is the same field 4 hours later, this guy didn`t have hail insurance or green span, for about a $3 premium I would`ve wrote him a $500/acre check!".

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Ok BaDeere, let's both of us say that we are a mix of Black, Mexican, along with some Native American blood thrown in and also that we are homosexual!!!!!! LOL

Wait, let's say we are Bi-sexual!!!!!! That way we have all the bases covered. And also we say we are Disabled!!!!!

So yes, we are a mix of Black, Mexican, and American Indian, disabled, and we are Bi-sexual. I think that should do it, all bases are covered!!!!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!!!

So you remember that bad Hail storm a few years ago too, yes I lost something like 320 acres of all corn that was just flattened and I mean just a total and 100% loss. Also Badeere, do you have all your beans in now? I am assuming you have all your corn in, right??

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Hell no I`m not done, I still got 50 acres that I`d still like to go to corn.  In this district corn is only 60% done and that is totally believable, I can look right out my window and see 2 different big shots with unworked bean stubble. No one has turned a wheel since the16th and we`ve had 8" of rain since then, gonna rain 1/2" on the Band Festival tomorrow, another 1" through Memorial Day.  I suppose there`s big shots around Ventura that are done with corn, beans everything cause they missed alot of this crap.   There`s farmers calling in to WHO while planting in the Cedar Rapids area. It`s gonna be late in this neighborhood, maybe couple guys done with corn, I don`t know of any beans planted right close to here yet.

0 Kudos

Can't recall the year, sometime early 2000s, when I'd made a trip through Iowa around Memorial Day and stated here that things were such a late mess that I'd nearly guarantee Iowa didn't hit trend.

It did.  Which doesn't mean it will but it can.

0 Kudos

posted elsewhere

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-05-22/stop-lavishing-money-on-the-rich-farmers-who-don-t-need-i.h...

"The deal in December to avert the so-called fiscal cliff had one welcome consequence: It derailed a new farm bill, the $100 billion annual spending package that’s renewed every five years and filled with subsidies for some of the U.S.’s most prosperous businesses."

I wouldn't worry too much, the agriculture corporations will make sure that their congressional employees take good care of their farmer livestock.  Happy cows give more milk.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Yes, it all depends on what kind of summer we have.  Iowa is just a corn growing nirvana, humid, good water holding, on what I have left to plant, I`d bet on 200 bu/acre far more easily than my beans going 50.  On what`s left to plant it`s a cocktail of 95-98 day, Wyffels and De-kocka(that`s how my Norwegian Grandmother pronounced DekalbSmiley Happy) and it`s all in the planter box so no take backs.  I ordered 95 day way back in December so I must be a justifable pessimist.  My planted corn is spike though V-2ish a very good heavy stand.

0 Kudos