cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

Is Cliven Bundy good or bad for business?

As the Clivester doubles down on his personal theories on race it got me thinking.

His opinions aren't a lot different than about 80% of the folks who post at Forum and I've sometimes wondered what non-ag persons who wandered upon that might conclude about the sort of people who inhabit the farm world and how that might influence their continued political and financial support of our businesses.

My methodist republican family (that would be about half the farmers in Indiana, I'm guessing) always instilled in me that it was particularly important for farmers to not present themselves as ignorant, intolerant yayhoos because of sterotyptes the rest of the world might harbor.

But that was then, and I think the world is a lot different now, to say the least. It seems to me that our support is now much more a matter of the power of corporations that feed off our prosperity and their continued political influence and in that regard broad public support probably matters less and being aligned with anti-government financial and extractive interests probably means more.

Sooo... maybe it all makes sense. Those with direct interests are small numerically but they manage to maintain a plurality, or at least a big enough minority to obstruct, by linking themselves to reactionary social attitudes and common emnity with various things liberal.

Whether any of it is right or wrong it makes me uneasy should the pendulum of political and social mood swing the other way.

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Is Cliven Bundy good or bad for business?

Hardnox,

Not all farmers and cattlemen are like Bundy and Thank God.  Also, not all traders are jerks either.  You have some good ones and you have some bad ones.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Our yahoos here are the more outspoken ones.  Wannabee tea baggers or armed militia types because a fire arm makes them a manly man. Plus they believe that diminishing someone else distracts the public from their own short comings.

Did you ever notice the most heroic on here never showed u for the nations call. In fact they don't even want to be taxed to finance those in harms way. Macho heros that are all blow and no go but they all grasp their firearms as if they would stand tall for a round of incoming when most would soil their pants and scatter to the winds.

BTW I am not a vet but respect those  that have served in harms way even though they might have been scared **bleep**less they stll went and we need to respect them for that.

Highlighted
Advisor

Actually think "they", or most of the they's I know personally are just plain folks, no better or worse than most, who happen to be susceptible to propaganda aimed at getting them stirred up over things in order to enlist them in a broader agenda.

I guess where my thoughts were heading was wondering if there will ever be a blowback from that and whether it would be deleterious to "agriculture."

Just as a for instance, the old influence buyers/peddlers (not some of the new ones) ussually spread some cash out to both sides to make sure that they were covered if they're lost.  If "ag" is 100% in for a particular agenda it had better hope it wins.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

PS. And the fact that certain "energizing" issues on behalf of that agenda are, shall we say, fairly extremist.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Nox, I know you put this here for a fresh perspective, so I pledge to try to make this my only post on this thread as to not scare away responses, can`t promise but I will try  Smiley Happy

But can everyone at least agree that the BLM did a lousy job of handling this?   This has been going on 20 years through 3 administrations and only now they get around to sending out the Abrams tanks, Humvees and surface-to-air missiles.   I still don`t understand it, there`s turtles, Bundy`s cattle were stolen and abused some having to be euthanized.  It just looks to have went on 19 years too long and now a big OVER-reaction.  Feds could`ve just garnished Bundy`s check at the sale barn, for Pete sake!

But the 4th branch of government has covicted Bundy of being a 'racist"...so Bundy is guilty of everything up to and including the kidnapping of the Lindberg baby.

I don`t know, the whole damned thing was handled poorly and I supose that`s what happens in a world where EVERYTHING is politicized.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

What I would like to know is why does the BLM own something like 80+% of Nevada and absolutly zero acres in the 6 New England states.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

What caused the problem was the calling out of the armed "patriots" as if an oppressive government was doing something it shouldn't be doing. The gov't won the hearings in a court of law and have a court order to support their action. 

WhERE is Cliven BUNDY'S COURT ORDER AUTHORIZING HIM TO RESIST  or his authority to round up a passel of armed vigilantes. This action is exactly the same as you would expect from a militia unit or the KKK. Resistanc3e and a lack of respect for authority and they **bleep** well deserve a slap down.

Then add to it your friends at Fox news the purposely defends any action against the dreaded government. This is where the reckless diminishing the government leads. Halfwits thinking they are justified in armed insurrection and the dumb asses are totally ignorant as are those that support them.

Does anyone else remember the couple of blacks that appeared armed around the voting center and how you righties screamed to high heaven!  Depends on who is doing the intimidation eh?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

If nothing else it has raised awareness of the federal land grab in the west.

Turtles lose to solar farms but win over cattle. Next thing you know those turtles will be shipped to Iowa and win over corn and soybeans.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Whether BLM is good or bad for the west is a conversation for another day.  But, one thing the events do bring to light is what few people were likely aware of:  that BLM cheaply leased land to ranchers.  Will taxpayers get upset about that?