cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Re: Is Organic Ag "Affluent Narcissism"?

My banker is my friend and listening to his advice is one of the best things I have ever done.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

You didn't answer the post, sw. Who is in charge of your operation, the banker or you. If you have a great relationship with your banker, it is either one of three things. You allow him to decide everything for you, you have a good banker that isn't micromanaging your operation, or three, you don't realize what is going on. The best part of living is everyone has an opinion, however you don't think I should have mine or are trying darn hard to change it for me. Good luck with that one.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I decided to let your post go-----------as it did not appear to be anything but another personal attack on one who disagrees with your opinion.  

Your are the one who used the words  propaganda and spin on the article presented for discussion.   It seems ok for you to disagree.  But you can't handle one who disagrees with you, without a personal attack?? 

If my disagreement was too strong, I apologize.  But maybe it is time to base opinion on something real.  gmo has been in production for nearly 25 years when are my cows going to start dying?

How do you feel when the banker tries to micromanage your operation? That is precisely what you want to do to others you think are less "intelligent."

Really,,,,,,,,,,, I am supposed to answer that???   You are right it is less intellegent.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

It seems to me that the question orignally posed asked if buying organic foods is affluent narcism. My simple reply was, Yes.". If you dine with a certain type of person often enough, you come to appreciate ths perspective...there is a requisite affluence, to be able to afford the premium price. This leads to the bpnarcissistic part of the phrase...thst these are people wh see themselves as always right....if you do not eat organic, you are doomed. Guess what? we all die anyway. The comparison to car makes is a snob factor,.and organics sold initially, and to some people, still do, as more of a fear factor. what this thread actually asks is if the fod selection decision isn't becoming more like the car choice: a status symbol or snobbish way of differentiatng oneself from the peons. In my experience, this is largely true. Organic as a term used to mean certification of production practices by an independent regional organization. Now, the term has been hijacked by USDA, and virtually all of the former standards lowered.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Let's just agree to disagree, but I wonder what your reaction would be to that study if the results were 180 degrees opposite. And actually, I'm not anti anything other than anti-believing everything that says it is a "study." Sorry if my tolerant opinion rubbed you the wrong way.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I just see the same theme of starving children if we have any organic whatsoever as ridiculous as the glow in the dark GMO talk from the other side. Let the consumer who has the money decide, not the seed companies, or the anti-GMO crowd.

Honored Advisor

Totally agree.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

It will be interesting spin for all of the  "experts " who called the last election --- the end result will remove them from the expert list ?Probably not - as far as a financial planner whether local of not" calling" the last four years leaves" expert" a gaunt hollow word--- remember the phrase" feeding the world" would have been a least bit more actuate by inserting the word  "helping" --- and who ever thought the word organic would make this many folks uncomfortable ---  

0 Kudos