cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Is Prop 37 A National Movement?

Food labelling lost in California but the movement leaders vow to continue the fight and make it national.  What do you think of a requirement to label foods that may have GMO content?  would it affect the way you farm or do business?  Should any group have the ability to require producers to label as the group desires?  

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Veteran Contributor

Re: Is Prop 37 A National Movement?

http://www.responsibletechnology.org/

Our farm sticks to conventional corn.  This year there is a premium for Non-gmo White corn

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

As a consumer, I feel that knowing the content of my family's foods is part of my job as the main grocery shopper and guardian of health here.  While I think that the "organic" designation has been made more of a distinction without a substantive difference by the passage fo USDA's NOP some years ago, I am not as comfortable with GMOs. 

This is a true Pandora's Box to me...we won't know if it's a problem, until it is well past too late.  I resist getting too deep inot research on ths issue right now...my brain is just too overloaded.  I knwo I need to sit down, do soem in-depth reading, and develop a stance. 

Every new idea starts somewhere.  Regulatory rules that guide so much of our lives now will make this just one more thing that has to be done.  Really compliant people will have another ream of paperwork to keep up with, and present for inspection, by a new bureaucracy's army of overseers. 

Tracking and verifying the authenticity of non-GMO products will be as much of a farce as the organic/grassfed/no antibiotic production regimens are today.  We will have ototake the word of people who can offer us no real proof of their claims, and pay them a premium for their promise that this is what they are actually selling us. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

"Tracking and verifying the authenticity of non-GMO products will be as much of a farce as the organic/grassfed/no antibiotic production regimens are today.  We will have ototake the word of people who can offer us no real proof of their claims, and pay them a premium for their promise that this is what they are actually selling us."

I think that the above is one of the main reasons why farmers markets are becoming popular, people are meeting the farmer who grows the food, getting to know them and sometimes even going to visit the farm to see how the crops are grown. 

I know that I would rather grow my own or buy the produce local from someone who is a non-gmo grower than to purchase GMO food that comes from the company that gave us DDT, Agent Orange, rBGH, etc.  I don't trust GMO, 50 nations have outlawed them, we Americans seem to be the human guinee pigs for Monsanto on this one.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

I know I am jaded, but I have seen more illegal uses of terms regulated by USDA at farmers' markets, than anywhere else I shop.  Maybe I've spent too much time and money with lawyers in my lifetime (mostly thanks to my father's decision to sign a mining lease in 1989, leaving me to police it ever since); but, imprecise and improper language in selling chaps my hide. 

I do not trust the guy next door much more than I do Monsanto, as long as a profit motive is involved.  The only way to really know how your food is raised it to raise it yourself. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Toughguy,

I know this is a personal issue for you, but the questionable retoric of the anti gmo crowd is not comparable with the research behind the FDA's decisions and the development research done in the US.

Even the statements that are anti-monsanto, similar to the one you make, are false.  Monsanto is not the only company who provides genetic modification technology, nor are they the only ones doing the research.  Monsanto has done terrible PR work over the years so I don't deal with them much, but to falsely claim they would be feeding us dangerous products...........  looses credibility 

The statement that 50 nations have outlawed gmo.  While it may be true, you use it in a false pretense.  Which of those 50 countries have done comparative research and found differing results?  Name which of those countries have banned it as a trade barrior rather than a safety hazard.

Like the Organic philosophy, there are lots of "truths" espoused by the "believers" that do not hold true.  Hybrid seed, or plant grafting are as geneticly invasive as the introduction of naturally occuring amino acids.  Yet those technologies of decades ago have been important in improving our food quality and quantity.  And for the life of me I cannot see the benefit of recently deposited feces and plant decay over those deposited in the soil centuries ago.  

We are years ahead in ag research and production per acre world wide, to prove it there is a list of countries world wide that ban our exports to protect their own inability to compete in the market place----whether it is grain sales or seed sales ------they can hold on to some market share by condemning our advancements.

There are people who need to "believe a non conformist alternative" and will search until they find it.  Fulfill their need.  But do it without condemnation of those who choose to improve the human condition through progress.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

SW,

Google Monsanto FDA Revolving door. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

I have read it--------------- and thanks for the reference

0 Kudos