cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JonBailey64
Veteran Contributor

Re: Hunting, There's a Lot of Prestige

Unfortunately the scandalous snoops, wheeler-dealers and blabbermouths ruin things for good hunters.

Then there are the complete idiots, city slickers, "dude hunters" and slob hunters.....don't get me started even! 

Speaking of '54 Studebakers, there was an article in Motor Trend in the early '50s remarking about the Stude's looks.

It said this homely car was right at home on the farm since it was such a GOAT. 

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Re: Hunting, Fishing, Rural Tours,

Our family does not want hunters on our land, at any price. This is mostly a safety issue for us, because we are on the land, in the woods and pastures, every day. It is not safe for shooters to be active where we are.

A second consideration is that we actually enjoy seeing the wildlife that shares our scraps of the Earth. They really don't fear us, so there are deer and turkey often within feet of our door. It is nice to look out and see that our stewardship is working.

Third thing, and I know some will agreeSmiley Surprisedne advantage of farming is that, unless you choose to go a value-added, direct marketing route, you do not have to interact with the public much, if at all. That is a very important aspect of working as we do, and insulating ourselves as much as we can.
0 Kudos
dnorris1
Contributor

Re: Hunting, Fishing, Rural Tours,

Wildlife is a marketable resource.  Contributing about 25% to our gross eachyear.  You are right, "our" hunters do a very good job of policing the property.  Protecting it for their own  enjoyment and not allowing it to be despoiled by others.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

If you are ever in Virginia, look me up.
0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Qoute From Kay : Third thing, and I know some will agree one advantage of farming is that, unless you choose to go a value-added, direct marketing route, you do not have to interact with the public much, if at all. That is a very important aspect of working as we do, and insulating ourselves as much as we can  Smiley Very Happy

Thanks for the laugh Kay - Smiley Very Happy  There has been a few times - when I thought I was thinking - but later found that I wasn't and would have to say to myself - Ken - You dumbazz - lol True story Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Re: Is any rural landowner here having trouble with city slickers?

Thus, my comments on not engaging with the public, below.

If you allow anyne to hunt, for fee or for free, you make them your invitee. There is at least an implied liability for their safety. Not worth it to us.

The US has a whole different attitude towards game and non- game wildlife, as I grasp it. In England, they belong to the landowner; here, to the people. That creates interesting quandaries, especially as it pertains to harvesting useful ones, controlling problematic ones.
0 Kudos
r3020
Senior Advisor

@JonBailey64 wrote:

Unfortunately the scandalous snoops, wheeler-dealers and blabbermouths ruin things for good hunters.

Then there are the complete idiots, city slickers, "dude hunters" and slob hunters.....don't get me started even! 

Speaking of '54 Studebakers, there was an article in Motor Trend in the early '50s remarking about the Stude's looks.

It said this homely car was right at home on the farm since it was such a GOAT. 

You see John here is the thing, if you drive into a tile hole I don't want to be responsible for the front suspension damage to your truck or the windshield where your head hit.

0 Kudos
dnorris1
Contributor

In order to encourage agritourism in Kansas the Commerce Dept. will provide an agritourism business that is registered with them some liability protection.  Basically it is a hold harmless clause for known hazards of the activiy.  So if you fall off your horse and break your arm you accepted that risk by getting on.  Especilly if you were warned of that possibility before mounting.  Now if I put you on a green broke horse and did not tell you and he bucked you off that is a different story.  Again if you want to ride a bucking bronco and that is a registered activity at my business the broken bones are on you.

0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Veteran Advisor

Re: Is any rural landowner here having trouble with city slickers?

Jon, my biggest problem comes from snowmobilers. It seems like it never fails: we get 6 inches or more of snow and here comes every idiot that owns a snowmobile. I confronted a group of them once that had stopped for a break on my grandfather's farm one evening and asked why they thought it was ok to be on property without permission. The guy's answer was because there was snow on the ground and we don't own the snow....not kidding! After I told him he was trespassing and I would call the law, they got moving. I personally don't hunt much anymore; after I got home from the war I couldn't look at hunting the same way. I enjoy the wildlife (deer, phesants, rabbits, and even coyotes) more now than when I was younger and hunting them. I look at wildlife as a reserve or supplimental food source if and when I need it. Hunters these days aren't really hunters IMO. Most "hunters" are just in it to see who can get the biggest deer rack; they don't care much for the land. The country way of living seems to be dying and it's being skewed more so now than ever. Just listen to a country radio station playing the newest "hits" for 20 minutes and you will see what I mean.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Equine laws have protected people for a long time. Post the signage, they accept the risk.

Agritourism laws are a corollary, which I pointed out the need for a number of years ago here in NC. Have passed the concept along to contacts in Virginia. Don't know if they acted on it or not.

Purple paint laws help a lot with posting against trespassers. I just think there hneeds to be a law that says, " if you do stupide stuff anywhere but on your own land or in your own house, you pay the bill."

Just cleared a $2 million claim against me last week. Nothing I had done, not on our land, just doing the right thing, and got sued.

This country is screwed. Thank the lawyers.
0 Kudos