cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Is this the meat racket news way too late?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Is this the meat racket news way too late?

The consiquinces of consolidation are interesting - look at your main street ---    

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

But we couldn't be "Globally Competitive" without consolidation!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

I have always been suprised how the price of meat did not increase because of consolidation.  I expected it to.

Actually consolidation has stabilized the volatilty in the meat counter.

I thought the consolidation of the pork industry would raise prices more as well ------- why didn't it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I think I am missing something  S W  - meat counter prices are stable ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

K289,

Maybe I just noticed it more when we were in the business of hogs.  but during the 70's and 80's it seemed like we were either on a surplus of meet on a "please take it" sale, or we were short of animals and the price was headed for the "too expensive to eat" range.

I thought when consolidation happened we would see Japanese or Euro pricing, but we haven't.  And the raising price suddenly on every excuse that comes along doesn't seem to happen as much.  The last two years could have driven meat to unafordable prices but it did not. ------- I am ignoring the "status" steak market,  but the fact that we have been able to buy ground beef in the $3 range and pork chops for less than that over the last two years is shocking.  And right now, one of our big pork producers is having so much disease trouble that hogs are being shipped from nw Iowa to keep a plant in the Okla panhandle running but I can head for the market locally and still buy pork tenderloin for less than $3.50 per lb.

I'm using pork for an example because i think it is more monopolized than beef, but look at the record low numbers of cattle and the price of feed.

I thought sure we would be living on pinto beans for protein when the drought took the cattle and the feed. --- It has supprised me 

Thanks for questioning ----sometimes i don't make things sound like I mean to.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Has the consumer captured any of the efficiency of the meat industry? What's a pig sell for at typical retail pricing? And what does it cost per pig for typical thousand per hour slaughter?
0 Kudos