cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wt510151
Senior Contributor

Re: It is dangerous to be right...

Agriculture has changed so much since the CWA. Too many people that want things the way they were at that time pressure the politicians. Interpretations differ over time too. Not as many know that farms have changed with the times.

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

Kay, all those EPA workers have to justify their jobs existence.

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Oh, don't even get me started on abuses and wastes of money by government agencies.

While in most cases, I don't think the abuses are official 'policy', but that they are allowed to happen, even if by overzealous agents, just gets into my craw.

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

Maybe the whole thing should shut down--""really"" ---  as I have told our children---""careful what you wish for""

0 Kudos
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Bill Clinton  " government can't work if you make it your enemy!"

That concept has frozen our political system to inaction. Do you like what our congress has become?

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Not my enemy, but maybe too often an aggravation.

I do not approve of either Congress or the President very much right now.  Both are hovering at all-time low approval ratings in polls.  Congress was at nine percent last week.  The Pres may have gotten a buip by pointing that out. 

No matter what their scores, we are all losers. 

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

I didn't say shut it down.  I said stop the abuses of power (wherever they are found).  There is a big difference between the two.

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

Who would be an "" effective shut down agent or department ""  ---if oil from  XL pipeline spilled in Nebraska and the EPA is not handling it in a responsible way where do you start---I talked to the NDEQ and they are taking a back seat to the issue and saying they have no position untill a leak developes and then they turn to Keystone--the Governor has """finally"" called a secession because of all of the booing at the Nebraska game on the add 's on the big screen---although ""states rights" have the last say just like a ""Canadian truck"" traveling through Nebraska bringing product out of Canada they are subject to ""Nebraska law"" which is inforced by NDOT--- with the main ingredient being ""politics""know at every turn from the loaded up zoning boards---county supervisors all the way to Lincoln to Washington it's a tall order to root them out I guess---maybe ""next November"" should be a ""recall"" election or maybe ---Ron Paul has the right idea --- another thing on the pipeline would we let Canada build an interstate highway to Texas going through several states and not have any on ramps or exits---seems unlikey a few gain $$$ of tax money would have local departments giving a blind eye and limpley push the burden over to the State Department  ? ?   

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

It's a typical flaw in logical argument to throw out the baby with the bathwater. 

All or nothing isn't what any of us really want, especially in terms of enviroinmental protections; but,  the sad fact is that a lot of regulation becomes simply about splitting hairs or creating distinctions where there is no difference. 

Also, there is no way to conduct agriculture without creating some impacts on nature.  If the Earth is going to support seven billion people, which it surpassed this week, we cannot expect it to look like the Garden of Eden in all corners. 

As a society, we need to determine what level of alteration is acceptable, by some sort of concensus.  The next step ligically is to stop beating up everyone who has to raise a crop or an animal for someone else to eat, cut a tree to produce pulp or lumber, or dig up a grain of a mineral for our use. 

Something has to be sacrificed, and part of that may mean accepting a less than pristine environment, at least in some places.  If we just enforced properly the rules already in place - which is almost universally never done - things would umprove overnight, in virtually every endeavor. 

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

Kay --good points although if one is performing bad practice should one ""expedite"" the GRAY area's of the law ---it does and can happen either way as some one at a government desk expediting their 15 minutes on stage for their personal gain---the last couple of decades ""galvanization"" is becoming rampant---"helping"" feed the world might be a better slogan with some of the other parts of the world shouldering some of the weight---if we ""clear cut"" all of our resources whether it is coal or trees or crops the end result could be interesting for the USA home folks--- seems like our friends in Canada have an abundance of our needs whether it is petro and fertilzer and the final most important is ""clean  fresh water"" --we need to play nice in the sand box with them

0 Kudos