cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Re: It is dangerous to be right...

I think you could be the most dedicated public servant in the world, and if you are an incumbent in the US Congress right now, your re-election is greatly in doubt.  Nine percent approval on polls has to be a real threat....

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

It has always struck me as ironic that the people criticing hog farms here in NC rarely know where and how their own excrement is treated, its route of trnasprt, and its final fate.  I have actually mad eit a point to ask a few of them...and am met with stony silence, or a lot of stuttering, in reply. 

Truth be told, most waste treatment plants have land application of nutrients as their end of the line use, just like our farm's manure.  

The main difference is that the carbon footprint for using the manure onsite is far less than for all the intermediate steps between the water treatment plant and the farms where the "humanure" is utilized. 

My thirty-something kids still call one particular bridge on I-95 "The Stinking Bridge,": after the waste treatment plant that was discharging gases at the Appomattox River crossing, without flaring, 25-30 years ago.  By comparision, no one knows where our hog farm - with three anaerobic lagoons -  is, unless we tell them.  .  Go figure....

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

The US has plenty of its own resources.

We EXPORT the world's cleanest burning coal, to China.

We have more trees now, than when Washington was President.

However, there needs to be some balance.

I actually know people who would rather the national forests all burn up, rather than allow a 'greedy' timber company remove trees that are dead/dying (to reduce the fuel supply in case of a wild fire) because a fire is 'natural' (even if started by arson) but logging isn't.

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

I would assume it would fall under the jusrisdiction of whatever agency oversees the pipeline(s) ALREADY running through Nebraska.

The pipeline also will be built to accept US oil from the Dakotas, and delivered to US refineries in the South.

The NDEQ also doesn't have the authority here, as long as the pipeline follows Federal guidelines, and doesn't leak.  That is one of the disadvantages of a strong central government.  They claim jurisdiction, because is is an 'interstate' pipeline.  It will take a lawsuit to decide if the State has any say in this, or not.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Yet, those same "environmental activists" would have a stroke over a controlled burn, designed ot reduce forest floor litter/fuel stores, which, when neglected, allow even a stray spark to ignite into a total disaster for the ecosystem. 

It is indeed dangerous when a tiny faction with a miniscule ax of a legal point to grind, and no skin in the game, can hamspring an entire industry, and further cripple an economhy that is limping along at best.  Make operations follow exisitng rules and regs, and stop inventing even up more. 

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

Maybe you can get me in touch with one of these actvists and they could figure out how to get these 100+ nitrates out of the well water around here---

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Wish i could help you...aquifer damage is pretty much hopeless, from what I have read.  What goes down does end up coming back up...Have you talked with the Environmental Defense Funds folks in your state? 

0 Kudos